1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

When you go fishing

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by GenevB, Apr 17, 2016.

1. GenevB

GenevB Newbie

You go fishing because you are a big lover of this kind of activity, or because of all the other great things that we enjoy meanwhile we are on a fishing trip? For example, few years ago, I used to go every week and even twice a week fishing, but the people I went with were going just for the sake of it, they weren't even into fishing that much, yet they have all the tools and we went on the edge of the lake, they started drinking very much telling stories, and we even made a grill. They seem to be more into this kind of "second" things to do while you are out fishing.

2. Faust

Faust Explorer

I fish because I am a lover a nature and exploring. I only have one friend that camps and fishes so I' usually solo.
    Only stream fish (always release), it's the excuse to "check out the next bend!", "maybe there's a better fishing hole down there!" so I guess I love the activity as I don't have that group comradery experience available.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

I fish to relax.
    Usually I'm with the same friend who is quite similar to me.
    Most of my other friends probably wouldn't add to the relaxation as you need to be an easy going type of character that doesn't mind the slow pace of things.
    It's the kind of pursuit I only do with someone who is confident with us being silent.

I tried taking my partner once and it was just moaning about the walk, about the mess, about there being no bites......god that wasn't a good day

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I actually grew up going fishing on most summer weekends , along with my family. Mom and dad both liked fishing, and we usually went to remote lakes way out in the mountains of northern Idaho.
    On Friday, my mother would pack the car with all of the camping gear and food we needed for a weekend in the woods, and then she would fry chicken and make a wonderful potato salad to take along.
    As soon as my father got home from work on Friday, we would load up in the car, my grandfather coming along with the old wooden boat securely tied on top of his old Ford sedan. We had a 53 Buick Special; so neither vhicle was meant for traipsing through the woods on narrow forest-service roads.
    Once we arrived, it was usually too late for much fishing, but if we got camp set up before dark, there was a chance of catching a few fish to fry for dinner.
    We always stayed until late Sunday afternoon, and then we would load up all of the camping gear, and head for home. This was a favorite thing that we did all summer unless my dad had to work overtime (he was a lineman), or the weather was bad.
    Naturally, fishing has always been one of my most favorite activities !

killeroy154 likes this.
  5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@happyflowerlady, I remember those days when I was growing up. I wonder what ever happened to those times?

So many wonderful places
    So little time

happyflowerlady likes this.
  6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I am not a fisher but when we go hunting or simply camping, I know that I should be ready to go fishing if there is an opportunity. With a hook and line, it is easy but the hardest part is to look for a bait. It is tiring to dig the ground for worms. But surely, the food is coming when there is a pond or a lake with fish. And for cooking the fish, it is usually broiled.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

It is both for me. I do love it, but of course just like everyone I too can get bored and frustrated with it, so sometimes it is just for the fact that everyone else is there or that it is on the agenda, but for the most part I do love it, especially when I can actually get something to bite.

Draft saved Draft deleted