1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Where do you buy most of your gear?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by campforums, Feb 3, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I was wondering where you buy most of your stuff from?

In Canada there is a large department-like store that sells outdoors and household goods called Canadian Tire which is pretty cheap which is why I shop there. I find a lot of the specialty shops to be very expensive. However when I'm in the states I was like checking out Dick's Sporting Goods.

2. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We usually go online and look for deals. You get quality stuff and sometimes awesome deals. We also go to Dunhams sports. They are a very cool store. But they can be pricey. Sometimes they will have end of the season sales we take advantage of. Walmart and Kmart have camping equipment fairly cheap. But usually it is not high end, or the best quality stuff. Online shopping is the best bet for us.

3. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I get most of my gear at walmart. When it comes to prices of camping equipment they have it pretty low. You get what you pay for though in saying that you buy cheap you get cheap.

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I like shopping for camping supplies through LL Bean and The Sportsman's Guide, and Gander Mountain. I also like Campmor, due to their reasonable prices and good customer service. I got a handy folding saw from them that works great on the trail, as well as, at home in my backyard for pruning limbs and cutting up branches. I usually purchase my Mountain house meals from Emergency Essentials, because they have a great selection and good pricing, and lots of sales. They also sell top brand water filters for trail use, as well as other supplies like camp stoves units and backpacks and such. There customer service is excellent as well.

5. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Walmart and Cabelas are where I like to do my shopping. But with all these brands, we should all remember that people back then didn't have the luxury to go to the store to camp.

6. lorr

lorr Newbie

There are several places here or just outside Toledo, Ohio. The biggest is "Bass Pro Shop". Not only fishing stuff but hunting stuff & many things, for instance tents & dutch ovens & camping gear. It's a place people might go out of their way just to see. There are wood pillars & posts. My favorite is the finished wood banister leading upstairs. There are trophies all over, live deer heads, antlers & large fish on the walls.

7. lorr

lorr Newbie

I meant LIKE dear heads! not "live".

8. campforums

Bass Pro Shop is great, I remember when the first one opened up here in Canada. A lot of people I know went just to check the store out, because as you know their stores are quite a bit out of the ordinary.

9. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I tend to be a Cabela's man - BUT I found it's best not to be loyal to any one company.
    SALES AND PRODUCT LINES are the things that do me in.

Groan :cool: I have a personalized invitation to attend the opening of a new Cabela's in Barrie on Wednesday 9th of July at 12:00 noon. Man...I'm going to have to find a trusted friend [not going to Cabela's] to hold onto my credit cards and help keep me at bay ;).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  10. Faust

Faust Explorer

I don't stick with one brand, I get whatever suits my needs. Most of my clothing comes from the "specialty shops" as I rather pay a little more for quality and reliability than saving a few bucks.

Go to the specialty shops during the fall as items are usually on sale/clearance due to the store(s) making room for the winter stuff, vise versa for winter clothing, go just before spring.

11. campforums

Lol, you are that good a customer?! :nailbiting:

These types of smaller specialty brands also tend to have unique features for their intended purpose. For example I know that for a lot of the winter stuff I buy, some brands have special pockets for hand warmers or loops which you can zip your gloves in to. Little things like this can make things a whole lot more comfortable.

12. gi_joy

gi_joy Novice Camper

I'm a very stingy person so I try to purchase all my camping gear through deals online or buy them secondhand off other people. I've gotten some very good camping gear from Craigslist for very cheap because the sellers were moving away and didn't have any room in their vehicles so they were just looking to get rid of their stuff. If I had the money, though, I would love to get new gear from Bass Pro Shop. I may be a girl but I absolutely love that store!

13. Northern Dancer

Can you imagine - I did not go to the opening of the new store in Barrie. But I know I will before the summer is out. ND

campforums likes this.
  14. Northern Dancer

I was packing stuff away today and I was thinking - "You don't need anything, not one single thing." But think again...it's always nice to look.

ND

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  15. campforums

That's why you go to the store, to see all the things you don't have! o_O

16. Northern Dancer

The problem of course is that they [not always sure who they are] come out with new products every year. I'm rather surprised with some of the ideas. I was looking at a you can stand up in the sleeping bag sort of thing. I don't know why anyone would want to buy one but they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted