1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Whetstone 13 Function Swiss Type Army Knife

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AurelioLeo, Mar 29, 2013.

1. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

What do you think of the Whetstone 13 Function Swiss Type Army Knife? What are your thoughts of the pros and cons of this multi tool model? I like the cheap price it is for this multi tool and would be interested in what's yours?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I've sworn by the Victorinox Swiss Champ for years. I keep one in each vehicle, one in the camping box and one in a pocket for everyday use. Unfortunately, even Victorinox doesn't seem to be immune to lowering their quality standards. The last one I bought had a magnifying glass that didn't have the same rigid frame their previous models have, the spring on the scissors tends to slip to the side more than the ones on older knives and the Phillips screwdriver isn't machined to the same sharp point anymore. While I'd still put them up against an off-brand knife, the precision they were once known for appears to be waning.

SwissChamp_zps333a3002.png

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think this has a lot to due with how many different models they have. For example, I have one Victorinox knife around my house somewhere from maybe 7-8 years ago which is pretty good quality. I don't remember the model name but it had an engraving of a fish and something else right below the logo. That one cost me close to $100 at the time but now you also have Victorinox knives selling at Canadian tire for under 20 bucks. Obviously the quality isn't going to be the same but I did pick one up because of the reputation the brand used to carry. I feel like it has been tarnished a lot by these cheaper models even if the name is basically synonymous with "Swiss Army Knives".

5. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

That's the Fisherman model, and the something else is the Victorinox logo. I've got one of those wandering somewhere in the house...

Draft saved Draft deleted