1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Which is better: Walking or biking on the trail?

Discussion in 'Trails' started by ashley0323, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Just trying to get others opinions. I am going camping with my family soon, and I am debating on bringing bikes or not. I think we might get bored walking, but bikes might be a hassle.. What would you do?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...hike with a purpose rather than just walking along. Check out historical sights, look for various animals, birds, etc., find simple treasurers. Have a purpose. Hiking is not to be a boring experience unless you make it that way. Take a specialty trail, check with foresters for pamphlets and such that will make your trip more interesting.

Hiking is not a passive activity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqojxs0w9oEj41fK4RG7Hs23ZKhXj_MKZx42Px6HdN_nHxj3Iy.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRER2BMaHN4fkfCtXEN5-eNWi3_idXSlIK4X1KMPM4lvaD8CxM4Ww.jpg

The haunted trail Ancaster

to7update likes this.
  3. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

Good luck trying to past through narrow or steep rocky trails with a bicycle. Bikes are great for trips across a dirt road or any already made trails, but it can become a burden when going through the bushy wilderness :D. Also hiking is not just roaming around, but also involves climbing, running, keep your balance, swimming and sometimes even crawling. Plus is amusing to be poking at stuff with a makeshift wooden rod.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  4. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I'm into biomechanics and natural movement so my kids always always always hike/walk lol. They have bikes, but that is more like "dessert" exercise. I won't get into much detail about that aspect, but even though we do hiking, the kids end up riding their bikes in front of the camp especially if there aren't many other campers driving around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...and then there is -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR-_BrkeL75DOT5odq6ei0y3LKYHu4h6ZQuULZPGHMKJ19lAIEZg.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMlXwETVfFluu3yYUxUtQ8puoHdMVSmJblMwM0cTorNT2VZOij.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtCEXVBh02w7uDQEqy97P-cj2N2KQwWXOpvwsRtJsNavMFnpO3vw.jpg

It's whatever that turns you on.

to7update likes this.
  6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

If you are looking for other options you should give snowshoeing or cross country skiing a try this winter :)

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Depending on the terrain, biking is better than hiking when the ground is like a lawn with small grass. I had experienced riding a bike in such terrain and I’d say it’s much fun. But when in the woods, the bike would be an extra baggage for you to attend to. And how about traversing a watery trail like a creek? The bike will be a liability. For a regular hike, I would prefer walking to have the freedom of movement because the bike will only restrict my movements.

8. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

The activity should match the trail design. Recreational sites I've visited, in most situations, will post the intended usage. Bikers yield to Hikers who yield to Equestrians on the multipurpose trails.

Personally, hiking allows me to absorb the sights, sounds, and smells. Sensory levels will usually be congruent, so I can observe and study my point to point perimeters.

Later, when sharing my hiking day with family and friends, I can easily recall the unique experiences, if they have an interest of what I noticed along the way.

Biking offers similar but different moments. Sensory levels will be at peak, for a relatively exciting experience. Applicable motor skills will be maximized to bring my body to almost total workout mode within a shorter time span when compared to hiking.

Later, when sharing with family and friends, I can talk about the benefits, or setbacks, I gained through this type of outdoor workout.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I have never really been able to enjoy biking as much as other people seem to, and I am not really sure why. I guess it just means that I prefer walking and taking it in a little more than the speed aspect of it.

10. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Yeah, pretty much like @Northern Dancer dancer says on both posts, we can hike or bike, we should do what we feel like doing in that particular day. Hiking is ok, but I prefer biking most of the time, as I love bikes and we cover a lot more ground. On more remote locations hiking is definitely a better choice though.

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted