1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Who is into hunting here?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Esperahol, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I know sometimes people get all... ver klempt about the prospect of hunting, but I don't see a problem with it so long as it is legal and not endangering a species. Of course I live in a state stuck between two other states where deers and wild boars are a major issues and the population of other things are quite healthy... the kind of healthy that needs culling.

So yeah anyone here besides me into hunting?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Sorry, I don't know German :s

But although I've never been, I have no problems with hunting as long as they don't waste the meat. Some people who are really into hunting for sport kill the animal and don't make any use of it other than a hunting trophy, which I disagree with.

3. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

I am not into hunting at all but I may try it when my friends and I go on our camping trip. Now that I am an adult I am trying to execute all of the things that I never got to do as a child. When I was younger, I was deprived and wasn't allowed to do all of the things that I wanted to do. So, I will definitely do everything and more. Hunting was never on my agenda but I am willing to give anything a try. I don't like it then at least I can say that I have done it before.

4. campforums

is that supposed to be a pun? ;)

5. Karto

Karto Newbie

I see hunting as a completely normal and natural thing. However, I do not accept massively killing animals for the purpose of earning money (selling various items made from bones or whatever).

6. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Newbie

I think hunting is something that can be justified. The rules I think it should follow involve not breaking the law, wasting the kill, selling it for parts, killing an endangered species, or killing for the thrill. Doing this and not killing too many animals would make it okay in my book. The one way it would be okay to break those rules is if you are killing to eat because you have no other way to eat at that time. This should only apply if you're actually in the wilderness. These aren't official rules obviously, but I would encourage hunters to have a similar mindset.

7. Karto

Karto Newbie

I think that shouldn't even be a rule. You should feel no guilt when hunting food for yourself as it's a very natural thing that we have been doing for thousands and thousands of years when there was no fruit or other food sources available.

8. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

Here in Northern Michigan there are more hunters than non-hunters. This year we were over run with deer and I know they changed and extended a few laws for the hunters. I do not hunt nor do my teenage boys. But they have alot of friends who do go hunting. Deer meat in the winter is on our dinner table at some point. We have plenty of friends who have extra processed meats. Rabbit and squirrel is hunted too. And ofcoarse the ever popular turkey hunting season.

9. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

whenever you go camping it at times may become a challenge if you lack anything to take as food. be in the wilderness for camping can therefore force you to go hunting. i personally do not see any problem with hunting for a meal but when it comes to the life any creature be endangered it also becomes another challenge. if you go hunting for fun and money i think rules must be followed.

10. campforums

I dunno about that, personally I see it as though it would require more planning to pack, plan and bring along hunting equipment then it would be to bring a sandwich. :rolleyes:

11. Bushman

Bushman Newbie

I enjoy hunting, though it has been a while. I believe that it's important that you can go out into the woods and come back with the food to support your family, but only through legal means.

12. campforums

Do you own a rifle?

13. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: I don't see what the issue is with hunting especially if it's meat for you and the family. The issue with wild boars is that they tear up farm land like a shredder. In the Pacif Northwest they really are a nuissance.

14. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I can see the issue to a point, but I mean like where I live if we didn't shoot the deer they'd just starve to death anyway. And like you said wild boar are awful little pests. Awful, vicious little pests - that taste delicious.

15. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I see hunting as a necessity. In our area there are not as many hunters as there used to be. The deer herds had increased to a point that many car wrecks were happening and the insurance companies started complaining. Instead of allowing hunters to take a few more deer, the game commission imported coyotes to kill the baby fawns. However, from what I have seen in travelling there seems to be just as many deer, but less small animals in the forest. Now between non-native animals imported in and let go by people not able to care for their wild pets, there are more dangers in the woods than ever before. People are reporting seeing cougars and leapords, in some areas. In the news recently someone claimed we even had a "bigfoot" in the woods. So they brought in that tv show about hunting bigfoot. Those that watched the show thought it was very humorous. They said the tv guys acted like they had never been in the woods before and normal nighttime noises were given bigfoot status. lol
    So I see hunting as a good thing as long as the meat is used and not wasted.

16. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@2sweed
    The problem I see with your situation is that commissions tend to be run by idiots. That explains why instead of just letting you shoot a few more... they brought in coyotes. I have to image that you aren't near any cattle farmers or whatnot because they would have had a fit.

17. 2sweed

Esperahol, you are completely right. Our game commissions are run by idiots. In the old days it was more about totally care of the native wildlife and forest land management. The older wiser game wardens knew their stuff. Then as they were weeded out and replaced by new younger just out of collage types, it became this game that is being and has been played out over the country. Lets put collars with tracking devices on animals and see where their going in the wilds. More animals have died from this practice then just leaving them alone.

Up here I hear about collared bears. When I lived in Florida, the state collared the endangered Florida Panther, which was just a cougar. Many times the cats were chased by dogs until treed, then darted to get them out of the tree, with them falling to the ground. Lots of times they were injured or aborted their young. Is that anyway to save a species?

Then they got the bright idea to bring cougars in from out west and put them in an area close to Tampa. These cougars were collared and fixed, to prevent breeding. Since they were totally out of their element in finding game in Fl, they moved into the edges of the city. Some were killed when pets & children were stalked. Others hit by cars and few lived to tell the tale.

It is a bit of concern when out in the woods hiking or camping, of what type of native wild animal you might meet, but to meet a entirely new to the area species that is non-native could turn into a life or death struggle. So if you see a tawny colored animal with a long tail it might be a cougar. If it solid black it would be a leopard. If it looks like a dog it might be a coyote. And if it's big and black, standing and walking on two legs it is either a bear or Bigfoot.

To me the option of hunting is a fairer way to take care of too many animals, then to bring in different species of animals that were hunted to extinction back in the 1800's, and reintroduce them into populated areas.
    What do you think?

18. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@2sweed
    I don't even know. That level of stupid is just... why would you introduce a new species you have taken extra care to render sterile? All it does is crowd out the breeding population... and it doesn't even. I mean if it were a reserve looking to make some extra money or... God that is stupid. I-I- ugh! I'm officially disgusted.

19. 2sweed

Sorry I missed your post. They have realized how dumb the idea was now that the coyotes are killing farm animals like sheep and pigs, chickens and the like. Now they have hunters shooting the coyotes for sport. To me this was completely a waste of time and money bring in an animal from out west to kill deer in Pa.

Draft saved Draft deleted