1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Why do I do it?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

14t5wl1.jpg

WHY DO I DO IT?

"What do you fear most when camping alone?"

Well...I don't have a lot of reservations today...but I did when. It was in essence the fear of the unknown. You know...those weird and bizarre noises in the night...and the dark? The thing that is most creepy about the dark is that it is dark; black, spooky, sinister and intimidating. Did I say gloomy? Now, I just love hearing a Great Horned Owl hooting a midnight tune.

"What about those wild animals? Bear, wolves, moose and other big creatures?"

Other than having some inquisitive bears wandering into camp looking for an an easy meal most have been more than respectful of my space. I've learned that the real pests are the raccoons, squirrels and mice of different kinds.

To avoid encounters I keep my camp site immaculately clean and I don't feed any creature. Some of the guys use to refer to me as Mr. Tidy Bowl. Be that as it may, I have never had a campsite wrecked by an angry animal. I've seen a campsite destroyed and ruined by a bear - not a pretty sight. Kinda scary too.

"What do you do with all your time?"

Easy - I relax, observe some remarkable creatures. Ever seen a bull moose twenty feet away? Breathe taking! When was the last time you studied a porcupine up close?

I've become an excellent cook - I can manipulate an open fire, a Dutch oven, and fry pan and have come up with some mighty scrumptious recipes that wow and tantalize the taste buds. I read - a lot, usually swinging gently in a hammock. I take some hobby stuff - like paints and a journal to record my thoughts, and most definitely a camera.

There are the usual things to do - canoeing, swimming, campfire building, hiking, star gazing and loafing. I've really become a pro at loafing. And there is no one there to say I can't. Kinda reminds me of Bruno Mars and his tune, "The Lazy Song".

Yes, I do take precautions, - I have the trip logged or a float plan. I report in on a scheduled time. I'm aware of the terrain and territory and follow the safety rules. And I have my faithful dog Reese who listens to my insane camping babble.

"Why do you do it?"

The music of fire...freedom to think...the smell of burning pitch-pine wood...smoke from the campfire...the expectation to explore...letting the sun be my wristwatch...the gentle warmth of a tender early morning light...conversations with new-made friends...a camera in my lap...pleasure in my nap...the lines of the trees...the splendour of a blue sky...an insect passing by...the joy of luxurious leisure...the art of living in the moment...the magic of the outdoors...the thoughts of remembered past...a quiet heart at ease...and dreams.

I hope all your campfires are big, bright, bountiful and beautiful. See you in August.

ND

hs25oh.jpg
    I LOVE THIS STUFF :):bear:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    BMWPOWER likes this.
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Beautiful pictures and experienced to boot. And here I am stuck in the USA. Very lucky man to be able to enjoy the great outdoors without all the distractions of city and modern life. Oh, to be free to travel as Northern Dancer is doing right now. Look forward to your return and the tall tales you promised to share. :)

3. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I want to ride that rapid. Where was this?

4. Northern Dancer

HI THERE - just got back from camp [a day early]. Fabulously quiet and absolutely marvellous in every way. The only down side was that they shot two nuisance bears, I will be posting pictures when I have an opportunity to organize them.

5. Northern Dancer

Hi there - glad to hear from you. As noted I just got back from my annual camping frolic.

We went in near Six Mile Provincial Park [we had a contact where we could leave our vehicles]. We were in the Grey Lake area. Lots of camp sites organized for the public at no cost.

I will post more pictures of the same area when I get organized.

ND

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

7. Northern Dancer

8. 2sweed

Welcome back, missed chatting with you. I have been absent a bit due to getting ready to move. It seems the more I clean out the more stuff I find. Wish I was out sleeping in my tent instead of packing boxes. So how was your great camping adventure??

9. Northern Dancer

I hope the new move is a happy one.

As you know the weather has been wet and cold - the coldest I've seen in a long long time. BUT... as my buddy says..."It's all part of the camp program." I have a short canoe trip in the second week of August and then I'm back to Camp Wendake at the end of August. I still hoping to get to Algonquin for a week and just park it. ND

10. 2sweed

It has been very cold and rainy here too. Gardens are not doing very well and at night it is getting colder. I hope august brings some warmer weather soon. lol
    Good luck with second leg of camping season.

11. Northern Dancer

Thanks - it is a short trip but because of the weather planning what to take is a bit of an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted