1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Wild Turkey

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Nov 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

On my island there is a lot of wild turkey. These guys are so use to human contact, upon contact they will gingerly stroll away and not panic. I'm guessing the further you are away from the golf courses they will be wilder. There is a hunting season for birds (guns). I have to ask my buddies back in Hawaii if bow hunting is allowed year round.

0.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I just had some turkey for dinner this evening. After thanksgiving they get really cheap at the super market. I am sure that wild turkey probably tastes a bit better which is common with most foods that I have had both wild and farmed and can compare.

I imagine hitting a turkey with a bow would be quite tricky, even for experienced marksmen.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I got friends that have been bow hunting since they were little. So they are very dangerous with them, lethal. The thing about these guys I might add, is that they are very patient. They can be up high in a tree and stay there for hours on end and wait for a prey to be in range. It's crazy.

4. campforums

Yeah catching animals does take a lot of patience, fishing as well. You can sometimes sit for hours and not get anything. That is probably why I have seen what are like little tree houses that hunters use to wait for some prey.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Here's one that came through my camp site at Tea Lake. I don't know what a wild turkey would taste like.

21nmbr7.jpg

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I can tell you what at least one wild turkey tasted like..... TOUGH! Really, really tough!

We have them out in Idaho, too. They were not native there, but after they were brought in, and protected for a few years they really multiplied, and thrived in Idaho. It is not unusual to have a flock of wild turkeys wander up your driveway, eat any dog food that is left outside, and just make themselves at home, in general.

My friend, Gib, who lives on an old horse ranch way out in the country, had the wild turkeys coming in to eat all around his barn, and then they started roosting up in the hayloft. Since this was ruining his hay, there was now a war on to keep the turkeys out of the hayloft.

One of the turkeys became a casualty; so he brought it to me to make roast turkey out of. I cleaned the bird, ended up skinning it rather than plucking all of the feathers out. (a smelly process if you have ever tried this, you have to dip the bird in scalding water to loosen the feathers)

Then I made stuffing and put the bird in the roaster. Hours and hours later, it was done, at least as done as it was going to get. Even after all of that cooking, it was still a tough and stringy old bird! The flavor was not bad, although nothing wonderful either. I ended up cooking most of it into turkey soup. If I remember right, it was tough turkey soup.....

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

The meat is different from the ones we buy from the store. these free range turkey is tough and the meat taste really gamey. The flavor is different from the store bought turkey.

8. campforums

Interesting, I've never seen wild turkeys in Algonquin. I have seen skunks, porcupines, deer, plenty of birds (the flying kind though), and probably some others but those are the ones I've seen most frequently and come to mind right now.

Hmm, it sounds like wild turkey has become an invasive species in Idaho. People have to be careful when introducing new species because it can be so hard to know what effect it will have on the overall ecosystem. I'm sure the populations of some of the other plants and animals in the area has been affected if the turkeys are so numerous. At least it makes catching them easy, however I would be cautious of turkeys roaming in flocks around peoples houses, you don't know what kind of diseases they potentially carry.

It seems that you and @happyflowerlady agree on that one. I guess I will stick to store bought turkey on Thanksgiving :)

Draft saved Draft deleted