1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Winter Camping - Which heat source?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by CherylTorrie, Nov 25, 2015.

1. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrie Novice Camper

When you wake up and the temperature inside and outside your tent is below your comfort level what do you use for heat? I have always found getting out of my sleeping bag a challenge when I have frost on my nose. I have though of cheating and getting myself a Mr. Heater. I especially like the Little Buddy Heater. It's small, easy to operate, low-oxygen and it has a tip over shut off. I haven't purchased it yet but I do dream of it. What do you use for heat on those blistery cold mornings?

Mr Heater.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I do have a buddy heater for early spring late fall. But the most reliable for me is a wood burning stove - I have two four season tents that accommodate a jack. We have an instructional overnight camp the second week in January and then a weekender middle of February.

3. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrie Novice Camper

Northern Dancer you are obviously more comfortable with moving heavy equipment from point A to point B than I am. Though I would love to have a wood burning stove I'm not sure I could set it up without a struggle. How much does it weigh? Does your buddy heater work well? No lingering scent of propane?

winter.jpg

Only a dream right now :) But I wouldn't want to set up in the backyard ;)

4. Northern Dancer

All base camps are stationary - I don't move anything once established. It is from the base camp that I go tripping, hiking, snowshoeing - whatever, and then return to the organized base camp.

Yep...I have a van, otherwise there just wouldn't be enough room to carry my equipment. I work with lists. I also have to make good space for my dog and I do carry a canoe on top in the summer and a six foot sled in the winter.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqwVdYLMSSzgWN_RF9mHQJG5PaWK3yRHX34IqrECfI34XJ717v.jpg

This the type of stove that I use. I will cook in the tent in the winter time and as you can see I have a side tray and hot water tank. I usually wash and shave, even in the winter, and the hot water tank supplies me with all the water I need. I often pack the tank with snow since I'm in no hurry. The stove is compact and not terribly heavy. The stove pipes tend to be a nuisance.
    upload_2015-11-27_13-51-5.jpeg

This is the Buddy Heater I use - I do not find them terribly helpful in really cold weather. I find them hard to light and propane doesn't always do well in cold weather. This unit has a safety valve should there be a shortage of oxygen. It has a shut off valve if it should tip over. If the propane is properly installed there is no odour - though you might get a sniff of odour when first lighting the tank. As they say, read all the instructions and practice before you use.

campforums and CherylTorrie like this.
  5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I use a Mr heater buddy also. I live in tn so the winters arn't as long or cold as y'all have it up north. I love the wood stove setup, and had no idea how small they are. We normally base camp somewhere on a lake. My brother and I throw our stuff in a boat and take off for 3 or 4 day. We prefer colder weather cause the snakes, people and bugs are a little more at bay. I have used my Mr heater several times, but mostly when I am getting ready to crawl out of a warm and cozy bag. Of course I like having my coffee perking in the tent before I get up to. The tents we use breath better than we do, so I don't think oxygen depletion is a issue. We don't sleep with anything burning tho.

6. Northern Dancer

Like your description - good idea not having the heater burn at night even though there is a built in sensor. True - where I am I need something with fire power and the stove is the answer. Generally there are three sizes of stoves you can purchase depending on the size of your floor space.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That wood stove is realy cool. What's all that white stuff on the ground?! It's about 62 degrees outside right now. I like snow. I grew up in gaylord Michigan, and moved down here in the hills of tn. I miss snow.... it's purdy

8. Northern Dancer

...it can have its romantic moments. Right now we are experiencing a peculiar temperature range - tomorrow it will be 15 degrees Celsius - in American that's 59 degrees Fahrenheit. Not that far from your temp.

IMG_0517.jpg

...it can be real comfortable in the midst of a winter storm.
    IMG_0518.jpg

...yep, it was cold enough to bring my Teddy Bear (actually his name is Baden Bear).

alaknak_in_the_snow.jpg ...it is as cold as it looks - but lots of sunshine.:)

campforums, 2sweed and killeroy154 like this.
  9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Aha @Northern Dancer, does Baden bear accompany you on many of your outings?

10. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Is that your tent? It looks very warm and well insulated.

11. Northern Dancer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :angelic:

Don't tell anyone...............he's my imaginary friend. However, when I go off to cub camp my Teddy Bear is real.

campforums likes this.
  12. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

I have the Kampa Hottie high performance portable gas heater. It uses gas to give you extra heat while camping. It has an automatic ignition so there is no need of using matches. It has a variable heat controller and a built in pressure safety device. It also has a safety guide and a carrying handle making it convenient for camping.

13. Northern Dancer

The purchase of a heating device depends a great deal on the space to be heated. We really can't use the term "best" because there isn't any best. I use a wood stove because the tent is designed for such equipment. Others will use different kinds of heating devices. Whatever the selection is it is very important to read the manufacturers guide lines and follow them to the letter.

Draft saved Draft deleted