1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Winter Yurt for JoshPosh

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Northern Dancer, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

"@JoshPosh - I discovered this yurt on my way to my camp site. What do you think?

2ni1cly.jpg
    2reozg9.jpg

wwdpph.jpg

14mq35l.jpg

I stumbled into this very interesting place - it had the yurt, this unusually designed cabin an walla - and earth oven. I sure would like to have spoken to the people who frequent this place.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Oh yeah, that's a nice one!! They even took the time to create a mosaic pattern. Alright check this out. This is the true underground oven we Hawaiians do it. "Imu's" is a underground oven used to cook meat overnight. Cooking time is 8 to 12 hours. No.....the dirt never touches the meat.

This is a small imu by the way.

This next one is bigger. But I notice that they are using a lot of tin foil. I think they are cooking chicken or something.

This next one is the staple of the Hawaiians. Kalua Pork. They encase it in chicken wire because the meat is so brittle it falls of the bone.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That video shows a really big cooking pit, I'm sure whatever they are cooking will feed quite a big group

Although I don't think I quite understand how it works. So,
    1. Make a big hole
    2. Fill the hole with logs and sticks
    3. Cover top of the hole with rocks
    4. Light the fire from underneath
    5. Wait until the rocks are very hot and the fire is starting to die down
    6. Put some leaves on top of the rocks
    7. Put your food on top to cook

4. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

I've always wanted to build a yurt. That one looks pretty awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted