1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Winterizing the Camper

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by mama2princesses, Oct 29, 2015.

1. mama2princesses

mama2princesses Novice Camper

We're really good about blowing the water out of our lines, covering the camper with a good cover and protecting the tires from dry rot, but what other things do you do when winterizing?

I was initially going to take the sheets off the bed and maybe even take in all of the plates and cups to keep them from getting dusty or just smelling like they sat in the camper all winter.

Do you guys remove your TVs/DVD players? Do you leave anything in the camper when it comes to food/spices such as salt and pepper, boxed food, etc. that won't go bad? Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting that "closed up" smell?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

How cold does it get where you are parking your camper for the winter? I know for example with LCD TVs, very cold temperatures can damage them because it freezes the liquid inside.

I would probably take the food stuff out with me and any other stuff would depend on how I want to find things when I go to get setup again next summer.

3. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I take it back to the dealer for them to winterize it and check it over. They have it done in under 30 minutes and we have piece of mind for next spring.

Park it on Lynx Levelers to keep it off the grass, put steel wool around the power cord access to keep out mice, and put a low watt radiant heater inside. All foodstuff comes out out. Linens washed and then put in big ziplock bags and stored overhead.

I keep musical instruments in it that the cold does not hurt. The queen bed gets a double sleeping bag on it instead of sheets, and that makes it nice and homey for a nap. Toys, coloring books, games, jigsaw puzzles, and books stay inside as we are in it constantly through the winter and it becomes a den. I cover the windows with flexible silver reflectant car windshield covers, so I often put a scenic picture where the windows are located.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted