1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Wolf/Bear encounters?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by mVd, Apr 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I guess you don't want to hear that I have three Alaknaks?

For the Eureka - yep - a solid sleeping bag with insert. I bought a pair of those sleeping booties (the down feather filled) that I wear. Sometime I use an Alagash cot depending how long I intend to be out.

As you might suspect I'm a serious camper. :)

2. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

You are serious. 3 alaknaks! Sounds like you have a pretty awesome setup.

3. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

Wow you are serious. Sounds like you have an awesome setup.

4. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

Oops thought that first one didn't go through.

5. Northern Dancer

...so - are you a weekend warrior or do you get a chance to get away into the interior for some canoe camping?

6. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

Mostly weekend warrior. I'm Lucky though behind my house connected to my land is a 1000 acre wildlife preserve. So I get to do some awesome canoe camping. This year I plan on doing a week long trip.

7. Northern Dancer

Excellent. Though I am relatively close to open spaces (I live near the Grand River) you have it made with a wildlife preserve right behind you. They would have to put up a fence to keep me out. :(

Can I ask what kind of canoe you have Zack? I have a Souris River 16 foot ultra-light kevlar canoe that I call Northern Dancer - hence my pseudonym.

8. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

I just have a small 12 foot fiberglass canoe. Not sure of the brand. Its been patched and painted about a thousand times over the past 10 years. but it serves me well. Yea having a nature preserve is pretty awesome but unfortunately the state has decided to clear cut half of it claiming it will help the deer population. Pretty upsetting. Believe me the deer population doesn't need help. Just an excuse for the state to make money I think.

9. Northern Dancer

...I hear you - we have done some interesting things in our Province too. The winter was fierce last year and it decimated a good number of deer that has helped the moose population grow. (With a decrease of deer is helps to eliminate the deer tick that is deadly to the moose.)

One thing I can tell you from my outdoor experience - everything is dying or there is unusual and peculiar patterns that leave one to wonder were we are going.

10. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

The winter was really bad down here too, but the deer population didn't suffer all that much surprisingly. This year I've seen a ton of deer sign. They come to my back yard and dig up leftover green beans from the garden.

11. Northern Dancer

You really are in some nice territory.Weather patterns have been unusual in the last few years. I've noticed the increase of wind warnings in our neck of the woods.

So...whats you got planned for the summer? :)

upload_2016-2-3_13-27-9.jpeg

12. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

Hoping to do a lot more camping then last year. Can't wait to visit my favorite spot. Didn't make it down there last year so probably gonna have to do some clearing. It's the most beautiful spot where 2 rivers intersect. Nobody ever camps there but me. Couple years ago did some survival camping there. Ate nothing but river chubs, trout, and wild plants for 3 days. Thinking about doing the whole week survival style this time. My knowledge of outdoor survival has grown quite a bit in the last couple years.

13. Northern Dancer

...WOW! You are my kind of camper - freaky :) ! Though I have taken survival courses I've opted to stay within the packaged foods - made or bought. In terms of shelter - I can hack it if I can stay dry. I have made an Adirondack as well as a lean-to but a light weight backpacker's tent is just fine with me.

I'm sensing you are a solo camper too?

14. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

Mostly solo. I go out with my brother once in a while. hopefully he's going to be able to go out more this summer. His job is pretty demanding.

15. Northern Dancer

I don't meet a lot of solo campers - people think we are odd. Maybe we are :(.

It is my practise (when I can) to set up a base camp. Some think I'm elaborate. Whatever...from there I take my canoe into the territory and will camp three or four nights and return to base to relax. I have posted pics on various posts here on Camping Babble. There is noting like gliding along the banks of a peaceful lake and soaking up the quiet. That's the life - at least for me.

So...what is your motivation?

16. Zack

Zack Novice Camper

I guess I just like to test myself. I also feel sometimes that I don't understand the way people live nowadays. The greed and waste. The forest is disappearing fast. I feel like I have to take advantage of it while its still here. It feels good to leave technology for a while.

17. Northern Dancer

I have that feeling too sometimes. I just need to get away from it all - and I do. I feel comfortable in the wilds and don't feel threatened.

I remember years ago when four of us were in Algonquin - just as the sun was sinking the wolves began to howl. Their majestic hymn crossed the lakes an surrounded us with a chorus that was breath taking. From sun down to sun up they continued their performance. We laid on a sand bar to look up into the skies as we listened. I've only had that experience once and it was magnificent and one that I will never forget.

Funny thing - my dog Blazer (a golden retriever) nuzzled up to me and stayed close to me for the entire evening. I had to keep shoving him off my sleeping bag during the night.

I have a short pic video of one lone trip a few years back. It's listed On the Water - Canoe Country - "3 minutes and 42 seconds". You might like that and "We came...we saw..we" on the Canada thread. :)

18. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

bear joke.jpg Maybe this is one reason there are fewer solo campers. lol :rolleyes::(:)

19. Northern Dancer

Could be...but you know what I hear most at night around the tent? Mice.

Draft saved Draft deleted