1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Working At A Park or Campground

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by 2sweed, Jan 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Have you ever done any working at a Park or a campground, where you got paid or as a volunteer? When I was just out of high school with no real summer job prospects I worked at a camp ground as a "campground host." I was not paid any cash, but I did have a free camping spot for the entire summer. So the position was more of volunteer, but I got to wear a uniform and help with a few emergencies. Plus I got to meet a lot of interesting people and made new friends.

I found a website for KOA campgrounds where they offer different jobs in exchange for similar rewards. You need to be a member (costs $35) in order to see the lists of jobs available in both the United States and Canada. Sounds interesting.
    http://workatkoa.com/

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Interesting stuff, it sounds like you really enjoyed the experience despite not getting paid. Did you make use of that camping spot much over the summer?

I will pass this link along and see if anyone I know is interested since you mentioned it is for the US and Canada.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I understand in the Provincial Park system (for Ontario if no other) there are Camp Hosts - volunteers who camp in a section. They welcome others and provide information and yes report issues if need be. They have the camp site free for the time there are there - could be for a whole summer. Which just gave me an idea. :thumbsup:

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I bet you could save a small fortune in camp fees this way lol

5. Northern Dancer

I probably could save a lot on fees but then again it would cost me my independence and freedom and that cost would be to high. :( It might be a good idea when I get old and crotchety and want to sit around all day.

I hope you are feeling a lot better.

:bear: Besides that he wants to get away from routine and associating with the masses.

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Around 1991, I lived in Western Washington, and worked at the Leisure Time resort near Silver Creek. It has to be one of my all-time favorite jobs!! The job itself was a variety of things , including doing laundry, cleaning the trailers and getting them ready for the next campers, sweeping the walkways, and (yuck) cleaning restrooms and showers.

On some days, and weekends, I also cooked in the kitchen, and that was enjoyable. People would wander in, tell me what they wanted for breakfast, and I would make it for them. Sometimes, we had dinners where we made steaks outside on the BBQ and everyone ate on the patio or picnic tables at the park. The steak dinners cost a whole $4, and included a rib-eye or t-bone, baked potato, salad, veggie, and usually some kind of a dessert.

The benefit of working there was a membership as long as I was employed. We still had to pay if we rented a trailer just like everyone else; but we could go boating, fish, hike on the beautiful trails, swim in the pool, and soak in the hot tub. My son and his family lived close by, and they would come down with me and we spent the day at the park, and usually had the steak dinner if they were serving one. (The park only did that once or twice a month, so it was not an every day thing)

There was a playground for kids, and even a small kiddie pool for my granddaughter to splash around in. I had to make arrangements ahead of time, but we could even use any of the other Leisure Time parks, and sometimes we went to the one near the ocean, too. All in all, it was a great place to work, and I loved being able to use the campground.

http://www.thousandtrails.com/washington/paradise-rv-campground/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  7. Northern Dancer

...what a multi talented person you are happyflowerlady - and experienced at so many things too.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  8. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I had a Thousand Trails membership for a while back then, and it is actually a lot of fun to travel and stay at the different campgrounds. It is a whole different spin on camping than going out in the woods and camping near a lake or stream somewhere; but it can be a lot of fun , too. We were able to whale -watch from the campground that was next to the ocean, and there was all of the nice beaches and trails around the campgrounds as well.

One time, we took a trip from The Seattle area down to Dinseyland in California, and we had two tents, and stayed at different campgrounds along the way as we traveled. Some had little lakes where you could fish, and many had a swimming pool and hottub, as well. All in all, it was a great trip, and probably a lot cheaper than if we had stayed in motels along the way, and the campgrounds were a lot more fun, and less regulations about when you had to be up and gone like a motel has.

9. Northern Dancer

It's really great that we can bring these joyful memories back. I find that happens a lot here at Camping Babble - someone mentions something and that brings back to mind some event in our life.

Of recent date I have started writing about some of my experiences in life. I'm calling it a Note from the Past - illustrated no less. I kept a journal of my trips and still do today. When I wrote briefly about the Hale-Bopp it was easy because all I had to do was to find that journal.

Keep sharing - I always find what you write enjoyable.

2sweed likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted