1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Worse camping conditions

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by AurelioLeo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

What is the worst camping conditions you found yourself in? As we all know the weather can change on a drop of dime. I would like to know how you rode out those camping conditions and how long were you out there for?

2. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

An ex-boyfriend and I went camping at the end of May. We live in Norther Michigan. He did the packing and decided what to take. During the day it was not a big issue. But at night it frosted over and we were so cold it was almost unbearable. Ofcoarse he did not prepare for the drop in temperatures. And to top it all off he picked a camping spot that turned out to have tent worms! We left after one night, and it was a memorable time. But NOT in a good way.

3. Bushman

Bushman Newbie

Last spring a friend and I went camping here in Central michigan after watching the news earlier in the week and decided it would be nice enough. So after we hike in my firend starts setting up the tent and I begin on the fire. about five minutes into gathering wood we start getting a light snow so I hurry back to camp and get the fire started. Right after I get the fire going the snow picks up and we can't even see 20 feet from our tent so we're rushing around trying to keep the fire blazing for then next half hour and then it finally dies down. We're sitting next to the fire after finishing our meal about an hour later and we get stuck in downpour of slush. This was only day one of our weekend...

4. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I want to say snow or rain or some big storm came through and messed with our trip.

Actually one of the worst trips I had where weather messed with things was a horrible heat wave, though. Sure, just go jump in the water, right? Wrong. It was so hot that even the water was warm and didn't provide any relief at all...not even temporarily. So we were stuck out in it and were just miserable the whole time.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Rain is pretty bad when it happens in the middle of a camping trip, the only thing that is worse is when it is combined with severe winds which blow your stuff everyone and threaten to take down your tent. Generally there isn't anything other than that that couldn't be avoided by checking weather conditions before you go out.

6. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

I really hate when it rains because it leaves everything damp and slimy.

7. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I went camping with a group of friends one year and it was warm doing the day ,but at night that temp just dropped and we froze out there. I set up my tent unknownly near an ant hill and got bitten up. Don't forget to bring the the repellent as well because anything flying in the air will bite through your clothes. lol

8. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Went with a group of friends to a local state park to camp for a weekend. It poured down rain the first night and our campsite became a slippy mud pit. The next morning we went swimming and forgot the sunscreen in our haste and got sunburned backs. That evening bears were roaming the park and got into dumpsters and made it scary for us staying in tents. And the morning we were ready to pack up and go home my friend's car had a flat tire.

So a hopefully fun time turned into a weekend of everyone saying "We should have stayed home."

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I may or may not have mentioned this before, but I camped out at what looked like a nice site. Then the rains came that night and what had looed an awful lot like ground dissolved into a shallow swamp of mud and leeches. So I of course had to decamp right then and of course I did so in the least dignified way possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted