1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Would this help you while camping?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by CampAllDay, Mar 27, 2013.

1. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

I'm in an engineering class and we need to come up with an idea of something to build to make camping easier. We have come up with an idea to make a device that will make fire tinder quicker, easier and safer. It would also catch a spark quicker because it would create really fine tinder. This would be more for people using flint and steel to start fires.
    Would this invention be useful to anyone?? Has anyone ever injured themselves while making tinder? Would a one time purchase of a tinder maker be a better investment than constantly buying fire-starter bricks or man made tinder? Does it take time to learn how to make tinder by hand??
    Please post and leave your comments.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's interesting that the class allows for open ended projects like that. Do you mind me asking what the course is about?

Well you could try making some kind of grinder to produce tinder from larger branches, perhaps it could be powered by a hand crank that would chew of small wood shavings that are easier to light. I also think it would be useful even if you aren't using flint/steel because even with a lighter you need to build a foundation of tinder for your fire.

3. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

You can turn dry sticks and pieces of bark into powdery tinder with a knife. Make a device that can turn it into a powdery tinder ,so you can save your blade that much longer in the bush. Also make something like a bag or pouch that will keep it dry from wet weather.

Draft saved Draft deleted