1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Would you buy a kayak, canoe or a boat?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by ashley0323, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

We are having to make this decision, unfortunately, we can only pick one! Would you choose to purchase a canoe,kayak or a boat of some kind? Why?

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Well I guess it would depend more on your wants/likes/dislikes. Personally, I love my kayak. I can carry it by myself where boats can't go. I have modified it for fishing, but I can also take my boys for a spin. My daughter (4) paddles her own. My husband has one, too, so we can all go. All of them fit into the van. It was just the right choice for us.

c7b892a024b0f5560f3a4dc8b0524520.jpg
    8979a2e56e86793d59774470278ee25b.jpg
    06d23d696d590d7e8c34638a6e9fd091.jpg
    cdee60281774d3424e4e0beeecd99e6d.jpg

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

campforums likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I'd be buying a canoe because I would be using if more often.
    ...I would rent a kayak or borrow one from a friend to have fun in the sun.
    ...I would rent some other water contraption to be silly in the water. :)

campforums likes this.
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think kayaks are the most fun but if I were buying it would be a canoe because they are the most versatile for tripping

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I am partial to canoes. I have nothing against kayaks. I think canoes make better hats. abc8d7ceaf5884ff25e2280567ba0d70.jpg .
    And when your not wearing them, you can load them down with camping gear. 65202f7e8b963080c656b882e23b12bb.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

IMG_0441.jpg Dunno - I think my hat is prettier than your hat! :cool:

killeroy154 likes this.
  7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

If I have a lake inside my property then I would definitely purchase either a canoe or kayak. Not only it will help me relax but it's also a good form of exercise since you will be rowing :) Haven't tried any of it yet but I guess it would be fun!

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I have a friend who is an army officer. When he retired, he bought a small motorboat that he brings to the sea for his hobby. The boat is kept in his home. He has a trailer that his suv pulls when he goes on a trip to the beach resort. I could see that he is having so much fun since it is a status symbol to have such a toy. But I don't agree with the expense involved. It is very costly. Perhaps it is more practical to just rent a boat instead of owning one.

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

It'll sure work them muscles around your neck and arms. I was fishing a river with my buddies one day. It was great company and good time until I realized what time it was. I had to get off the water and to work, so I bid my friends farewell and took off down stream headed for the vehicle. It's always alot further down the river than I realize, and a short canoe does not go as fast or cut through the water like a longer one. When I got to work that evening the soreness from over exerting those muscles was setting in. I sometimes have to wear cotton gloves at work, and it never fails that your nose itches when wearing them. It hurt to raise my arm to scratch my nose. I love being on the water.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  10. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I have always wanted to have a kayak and do the solo thing, but then again that would be a little intimidating at my level. I would also need a new and upgraded canoe here soon, so I would stick with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted