1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

You all need to see this! Campfire orange cakes.

Discussion in 'Food' started by Lanna, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

I found this on pinterest:
    af3a83a65e2360ce74713dc2a10a0360.jpg

I'm definitely going to be making these next time I camp. The batter and oranges will take up a lot of pack space but I could make the batter the morning of, pack it in a baggie or something, and make these the first night camping. I bet they would be amazing and I love coming up with creative ways to cook comfort foods like this while camping. Chocolate cake batter would probably be best because I love the combination of chocolate and orange, but I bet spice cake would taste delicious too.

I just figured I would share this because my mouth was watering just looking at the picture.

lorr and 2sweed like this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I dunno, I'm never good at getting it to look like it does in the picture. I have a feeling I would break the orange skin when I tried to cut off the top and remove the insides.

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I think it is a very interesting idea and a quick treat. You bake the cake in the orange shell and eat out of it as well. Mix the main batter dry ingredients in a baggie, then add water to it at camp. Even without frosting these would make a great treat for adults or children. I am going to try this at home and share the idea with my camping buddy friends. Thanks for sharing!

4. lorr

lorr Newbie

I think yellow or white cake might be better than chocolate cuz it will 'pick up' the flavor or the orange.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I know what you mean, since chocolate is a rather strong flavor and orange is fairly light it might be overpowering. Then again when I first read this thread it reminded me of these chocolate oranges I used to see advertised on TV all the time when I was younger...

51UsWYbaQfL.jpg

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

This looks interesting, but I can already see myself screwing up with this. That said I'm more likely to just either bring something prepackaged or to leave it aside as a lame shot. That said I would love chocolate, because I'm something of a chocoholic.

7. lorr

lorr Newbie

Hmmmmm? I never saw those. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  8. TABL

TABL Explorer

I looooove those chocolate oranges... YUM!!! So yeah, this cake looks very appealing. Has anyone tried it?

Draft saved Draft deleted