1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

You have three kids and one backpack, what do you take on the trail?

Discussion in 'Trails' started by ashley0323, Sep 17, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Just curious on everyones answers! lol If you are taking three kiddos with you, and taking one backpack on the trail, what would you pack in the bag?

2. diy_john

diy_john Novice Camper

I guess it depends on the age and time on trail . But my first suggestion would be snack. I have 5 kids and snack or food they like even just cooking and eating out on trail is something they look forward to. After that probably toilet paper.... ha ha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

3. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Snacks, diapers, wipes, extra bags (usually doggie poop bags in case the 4yr old needs to squat), drinks, small first aid kit... we actually have a portable potty chair now that my son is potty training and it fits into one of their small backpacks. My older two (4&2) sometimes carry their own backpacks in which case my oldest carries the potty seat, bags, and TP in hers. But for one backpack, my daughter knows how to squat and we use the doggie bags for... well you know lol. We also have backup batteries for our phones and basic like flashlight, extra fire starter, just in case type items that don't take up much space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Rope and book of knots in case they get on your nerves. Maybe take some honey and smear a little on them then wait to see what critters come out of the woods to lick em. Ha just kidding.

I think it's great to take young kids out hiking and camping. Both of my daughters are 26 and 30 now, and I always wish I could go back and spend more time with them when they were young.

I think missyify and diy_john has some excellent ideas. You want their outdoor experiences to be fun and comfortable. My wife had a bad experience on a camping trip when she young, and it realy turned her off to it. You don't want them to dread hiking or a camping trip.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

How about ear plugs, headache medicine, and lots of snack food to eat up all your anxiety and depression as your children risk life and limb chasing woodland creatures and butterflies. Also bring first aid kit and your sense of humor and pray that it does not rain. :rolleyes::(:banghead:

6. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I'm more worried about my kids walking through Washington DC and getting shot at or run over or whatever else lol. We survived The Wiggles.
    9608679dd56add977c34ea4149297154.jpg
    However, we're pretty awesome to the kids for the time being!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I don’t think it is wise to go on hiking with 3 kids and you’re the only adult. But anyway, for the sake of this thread, the camera is the first on my list whenver I go on camping trips. And considering the kids with me, I would pack some snacks and additional drinking water. In my experience, children are faster to be thirsty than adults and they get bored in walking distances when the trail looks the same. Part of the snacks is candies to make the mouths busy so they wouldn’t think of something else.

8. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Three kids huh? How old are they? First, each one carries their backpack with water, and snacks, so basically we divide the weight for all according to the age of course, but it's important for them to realize that they need to carry their own stuff. Wipes is a good idea, but not much more than that, as it's important to hike light.

Draft saved Draft deleted