1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Your best makeshift shelter

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Alexandoy, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

In your camping experience, what can be considered your best makeshift shelter that is without the use of a tent? I think I was around 30 at that time when we camped by the forested side of a dam. There were 13 of us and what I brought was a pup tent for 2 so I decided to make a shelter that will fit all of us. After working on some branches of a fallen tree, I opted to just use a big blanket for the roofing. It was great to have a roof so the mountain dew will not wet us in the morning. We had a shelter and we praying for the rains not to come. In the morning, the blanket was dripping wet.

2. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I guess I have always been lucky to be alongside someone who is well prepared, but that would be kind of fun to an extent. It would remind me building all those elaborate forts when I was a kid.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've used a variety of shelters over the years but have done away with the standard lean-to because of the damage I can do to the immediate environment. I'm now into good tarps [meaning different material used to stop that confounded wrap noise in the wind]. I have used a tarp over the canoe for night time protection from the elements as well.

IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg Kitchen Shelter - away from sleeping area. IMG_0707.jpg The shore of Red Pine Lake.

The old Boy Scout lean-to is considered passe and unless you are in a survival situation or trying to wow some greenhorn it is considered inappropriate today.

upload_2018-10-10_16-55-30.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted