1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Your Type of Camping? (Accommodation)

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Recreational, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Recreational

Recreational Newbie

There's many different ways to go camping, me and my group of campers are tent and a fire type of people but on occasion we do have a couple bring a car to sleep in :p

Where mainly go to a popular spot and usually there are other camper around, many of the city tourists use a caravan/RV, there's a place around 30 minutes away where you can rent them and most people do. I've done it myself a few times but it gets boring after a while.

The tent is always a different and unique experience every time and much more of our stories we recall after are from those times.

Which type are you?

2. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

My type of camping would be with a RV since I feel more secure but we always just sleep in a tent.

3. Jonah Glover

Jonah Glover Newbie

My family has always been a tent family. The more you can cram in the more fun/horrible time you have.

There is something really special about waking up in the middle of the night, listening to the crickets and the owls, and just seeing the people you love all snoring happily around you.

I've never gone RV camping, but I can't imagine the experience is quite the same.

4. Malachi

Malachi Newbie

I don't know that I'd call it "camping" in a car or an RV. To me its only camping if you're not sleeping essentially indoors in a bed.

I prefer tent camping with my family but I use a tarp when I'm hiking for the savings on weight.

5. TABL

TABL Explorer

We have a pop up for the 6 of us.
    Growing up, my parents had an RV. We had a stove, a tub, a TV. It was camping, but not camping!
    With the pop up, it feels much more like camping. Except you have a mattress!

6. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

My type of camping is definitely camping in a tent. Although something that's needed is a good gun that's easily concealable.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Tent and backpack in the middle of nowhere would be my type. I don't like campgrounds, I don't like dealing with too many people, and there is so much to see/do in the wilderness.

8. charity

charity Newbie

Camping in a tent. Just doesn't seem like real camping if you are inside a pop up or camper. To me, camping is about being outside with nature, without having modern day conveniences. A pop up and regular camper just have to many conveniences for me.

9. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When young we always went tent camping. We had a nice Coleman canvas tent with screened windows. Dad would always set up a tarp over the picnic table and we had cots to sleep on. Even with cots we had inflatable air mattresses and nice sleeping bags.

We went to campgrounds at State Parks, and had a great time. Then as my folks got older they purchased a RV camper. It was okay, but I always felt colder and damper in the RV, compared to sleeping in a tent. I would say when the weather was cold or wet, being inside the trailer was a bit more comfortable, having a table and benches to sit on and a stove and sink, and refrigerator for cooking. But at the same time it was cramped and crowded, and not as fun as having the family in a tent. Now days in certain areas it is no doubt safer in a RV, but it lacks the closeness to nature that makes tent camping a memorial experience.

10. I have to agree with the comments about there being something special about cramming everybody in a tent and being able to hear the crickets outside and just feeling close to nature. I had always slept in a tent on the ground as a kid, but then I had my first experience with a pop-up when we vacationed in the Smokies, and it was really nice. I have tried remote camping before, but I got too scared of all the sounds, so we had to pack up and stay in a hotel. I truly admire anyone who can completely rough it in the wilderness like that! I always seem to get caught in the rain when I camp, so I appreciate having a room over my head, but even when it's raining, there really is nothing quite like a tent.

11. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Has anyone ever stayed in one of those open ended free sheds that are said to be on the hiking trails in remote areas? I don't know why I would feel safer in a zipped up tent then in an open aired shelter in a strange area along a hiking trail, but the latter would make me feel much more protected and safe.

12. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm still engage in a variety of camping - but it is always in a tent. I have five different four season tents for base camp - all large and roomy, some with wood stove openings. When I'm in the interior I'm looking for ultra light, four season capability for the extra assurance that it provides.

In recent years the quality and durability has increased significantly with the use of newer waterproof and performance tested materials.

The complication for the serious camper and the not so serious is - what do I purchase?

Oh yes - I've committed myself to a self impose discipline called WHAT? :blackalien:

:rolleyes: W- when do I plan to use this equipment?
    :shifty: H - how often I'm I going to use it?
    :cyclops: A - at what cost?
    :link: T - think about it again before making a decision.
    :muted: ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I think you are referring to an Adirondack - and yes I have camped in them - usually for a night or two at most.

The Adirondack lean-to was developed by guides of the region as convenient camps to house hunting and fishing parties. The earliest of these shelters were quickly and crudely built but they still offered shelter from the elements.

As the Adirondacks developed, so did the lean-to structures. The previous temporary structures were replaced by sturdy log structures. Made from what was available, balsam or spruce logs were commonly used. Cedar has replaced these species as the primary log, due to its natural rot resistance and easy workability. Some High Peaks lean-tos do not have fire rings in front of them.

"The official New York State Conservation Department model [was] constructed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

There are several hundred public lean-tos in the Adirondacks and along the Appalachian Trail. These refuges are generally open to the public on a first-come-first-served basis

Draft saved Draft deleted