1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Again - the question of jeans

Discussion in 'Attire' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Instructional Thread :peeking:

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcS41ep_yYAoJMGlfkDHvNCcNRhDxnXkou6MsEylpBG-ybi9pJP05MsCwtuogQy_otOYJWIvdN8&usqp=CAc.jpg

The count down is on as I impatiently wait for the first real adventure
    into the places that I enjoy most.

In the meantime to keep busy I was instructing youth how to pack a standard person pack for canoe tripping. As we know space and weight is always a consideration as well as the avoidance of duplication of instruments. So on this occasion, I'm instructing the semi-military method. By that, I mean clothing items pressed down and folded tightly and rolled. You are permitted a total of three socks, three underwear, three lightweight pants, [must include one long pant] three lightweight t's, etc. No awful beach towels and the like.

This all has to be reasonable for youth who don't have the bucks to purchase the big ticketed items for their kit.

"What about jeans," Sir. "What about them? I said, warmly inviting more information. "Can I bring them? :eek:

I don't recommend jeans for canoe or any other kind of camping. For the simple reason --->

Big, bulky and hard to pack.
    Hard to dry.
    Not warm when wet.
    If you fall into the drink they become heavy.
    Because they are usually dark they attract mosquitos.
    In an emergency, they are hard to cut off.
    Not suitable for hot days.
    They block air flow to the body and make the person hot.
    [Though I can appreciate some guys wear them for that reason.]
    They tend to be uncomfortable doing labour tasks.
    They are not right for the environment.
    "I guess I shouldn't bring them then?"

Well...what do you think?
    What would you have said in this instructional session?

upload_2019-6-22_16-40-43.jpeg

Socks rolled in military fashion.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I agree 100%. I used to be a cotton person, but you have showed me the errors of my way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Those are a lot of reasons not to bring jeans, I opt for cargo pants nowadays. The main reason for me is once wet they basically won't dry unless you leave them to bake in the sun for an entire afternoon which basically ain't happening if you have a very ambitious amount of ground to cover. What usually ends up happening is a few things end up a little bit melted trying to dry a little bit too close to the fire.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

-----> Nice to see you, online Captain. Nice surprise, I thought you might be lost in the Himalayas. There are a whole lot of 30-year-old salespeople who have signed up on Camping Babble to make a solid contribution to your fabulous site. :)

Back to the subject at hand. The reality is there are new textures and the like designed for the outdoor crowd. Granted...some of the stuff is ridiculously expensive, but what the heck, what's life all about anyway? Oh, yah', I've burned some of the finest as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted