1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Bamboo Clothing?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by red, Jun 26, 2015.

1. red

red Newbie

Has anyone worn any bamboo active wear? I heard it's supposed to keep you more dry and cool than other fabrics that are usually in workout clothing, but the stuff I've seen is pretty expensive so I wanted to know if you guys have had any experiences.

I really hate overheating or sweating through my shirts, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have a pair of bamboo underwear and a couple workout shirts. They are much lighter weight than cotton although that also means that they cannot absorb as much sweat but they are very breathable and dry quickly. They also do not stick to your skin as much as regular cotton t-shirts. Also, you're right that they can be expensive. Generally though, I've found them to be very comfortable for sports and what not and if you're considering it and can find something in your price range than you should definitely give it a try.

3. kimberlyd

kimberlyd Newbie

To be honest, I have never even heard of bamboo clothing. Where do you get them? It sounds like an interesting concept. I have tried hemp clothing and was not too happy with it and cotton can be stifling, so breathable clothing sounds ideal to try.

4. campforums

You'll see it labelled as "Rayon" a lot of times, like this:

IMG_20150703_191909.jpg

From a shirt I just bought (on sale :D for $12 a shirt)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. I tried bamboo socks, but found they were not very durable and quite expensive. These fabrics are not made directly from bamboo. Viscose is created through a chemical treatment of the cellulose from the bamboo. The viscose is then used to spin rayon fibers. Thus, the fabrics are made of rayon, as Founder says. It's an artificial fiber but not a truly synthetic fiber. The fiber itself is similar to cotton while providing the temperature and moisture control attributes of synthetic fabrics.

6. Oh, you can get various bamboo fabric items at
    REI
    Backcountry
    Rock Creek
    and lots of other places as well. I tried to get links that lead to a list of bamboo things.

campforums likes this.
  7. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Hmmm I don't think I've ever even seen bamboo clothing...I guess I could see it being more breathable and lightweight but I'd seriously question if it'd be so much nicer that it's worth paying more for.

8. campforums

You have probably seen it and did not know it. It is very common for athletic apparel

9. Shawie

Shawie Newbie

I've purchased bamboo shirts for my husband and he seems to love them. I've never considered buying them as undergarments though. I wonder if it's worth the price?

The first time I discovered bamboo clothing it was my visit in San Francisco there was a bamboo shop on the Wharf. I felt the bed sheets and they felt AMAZING. I couldn't stomach the $300 price tag on them though so didn't purchase.

10. campforums

They're very soft and kinda pricey but not really any pricier than designer brands from other materials. Needless to say, I couldn't afford more than a pair or two to try.

$300!? Yikes, I don't know why they are so much more expensive. Maybe it is because it is a comparatively uncommon material.

11. Tim31556

Tim31556 Novice Camper

Check ebay. I have several pairs of boxerbriefs made from bamboo I love them.
    If you're carefull you'll actually find them pretty cheep
    I've got them from. $5-$12.00 on there.

12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow 300 hundred bucks! My wife's cat would love that! uploadfromtaptalk1456812606122.jpg

13. campforums

Your wife's cat must be well loved! :p

14. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I've never heard of bamboo clothing myself, but I can't understand why it would be so expensive as bamboo grows super fast and isn't exactly rare either. The only reason for the hefty price is probably the result of an expensive manufacturing process. I guess its cool if you want something unique and if you sweat a lot, than the physical properties of it may be worth a try.

15. campforums

Also is probably kind of a niche product, maybe if becomes more popular the price will drop closer to cotton

SashaS likes this.
  16. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

My wife helped her grandmother years ago, early 70's, (wow I'm getting old, how'd that happen) break flax to make linen. She said the bedsheets made from the fibers were very comfortable, durable and felt good to sleep under.

That type of way of life has almost disappeared in these parts of the country. I couldn't imagine having to do that now. My wife said she may have a pillow case that belonged to her grandmother.

17. campforums

Sounds like you're itching for a new project :p

18. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

This is the first time that I've heard of bamboo clothing. I had seen in the local museum the bamboo armor that soldiers used in the ancient times to protect them from the spears and arrows of the enemy. I may be out of touch with the modern fabric because I am not aware of such kind of clothing material. If that bamboo clothing will be popular here then that will be good for the bamboo growers. More demand means higher prices for the bamboo poles.

Draft saved Draft deleted