1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping attire

Discussion in 'Attire' started by JoshPosh, Oct 27, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I remember going camping every weekend and it never really occured to me about proper camping attire. Back then as a kid, I really didn't care. All we wore was shorts and a t shirt. Of course my mom packed us extra clothing. But it we never wore backpacks, long pants, sweatshirt, and so forth.

What do you guys wear when you go camping?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

For me, camping attire is all about practicality and comfort. So the staples of my camping clothes packing list are things like:
    • Cargo shorts
    • Long underwear
    • Sweatpants
    • Old T-shirts
    • Running shoes
    • Lots of pairs of extra socks
    • A hat that provides good sun coverage
    • Hoodies

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Depends on the season and the location - Northern areas require more attention to warmth whereas Southern areas require more attention to rapidly changing weather. Either way you're probably going to need layers to get by. So pants are a staple, hoodies, a good pair of boots, and of course a decent pair of socks... blisters aren't ever fun.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

@Esperahol, to prevent blisters it is important to always wear shoes that fit well and have dry socks (which is why I always recommend bringing along a few extra pairs). Even if I am cold and wet, if I have a pair of dry socks to put on then I am a happy camper :)

5. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Even if you do not have expensive camping gear; you can still enjoy camping with everyday clothes. If you seriously get into camping and hiking, then more expensive clothes might be called for; but if you are just having a family weekend out camping in the woods, near a favorite lake, or even at a campground, then just sensibly-chosen regular clothes will be adequate.

It is always good to be prepared for weather changes. You may be wearing shorts during the heat of the day; but will want a pair of jeans and sweatshirt that night when it get chilly. Good shoes, tennies are fine usually, and some extra socks in case yours get wet, and your jacket will make a good pillow that night once you head for the sleeping bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted