1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Gear for your Dog

Discussion in 'Attire' started by happyflowerlady, Apr 23, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Spring is here, and soom many people will head out to the mountains and the lakes to go camping and hiking. Many people take the family dog along, and dogs LOVE to go along when we go out camping like this. The sad thing about that is that sometimes, the dogs wanders off and can get lost out in the woods. If you camp a lot with your dog, you may already have it trained to stay close; but many times, people will just take the dog along, and he has never been away from home before.

If your dog gets lost in town, you can drive up and down the road and look for them; but out in the woods, with acres of forest; they can be attacked and killed by a pack of coyotes, or other predators, before you can find them. One way to prevent this is a special collar that has a GPS system built into it. That way, if your dog should wander off; you can tell exactly where he is at, and have a much better chance of finding your beloved pet. I think that this would even be a good idea of you have kids along and are out hiking in the woods, although kids can have a cell phone and call; but your dog can't do that.

http://www.camping-review.com/58998/garmin-astro-320-gps-enable-dog-tracking-system-astro-320-dc

2. Animal Grace

Animal Grace Newbie

On the subject of camping gear for dogs - My wife and I own/operate Animal Grace which is an online business offering the highest quality camping and outdoor gear for dogs. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. Free shipping. 5% discount for Camping Babble humans, use discount code CB2015

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'll admit, this is one of the things that scares me most about bring my dog along camping. I don't know how kids would feel about wearing a collar though, haha

Thanks for sharing the exclusive discount code :thumbsup:

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

campforums likes this.
  5. campforums

Thanks for sharing that link. This part made me chuckle:

fatdogonsand.jpg

happyflowerlady and 2sweed like this.
  6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have equipment for my dog - a winter coat, a brush coat, a dog pack, a clicker to call him back, dog towel, bed with attached blanket (for those wet days) et cetera, et cetera, but I don't have this (and not planning to either).

Latest from Gear Junkie (this week's issue).

Rex Specs are sunglasses for dogs. They are much like ski goggles with interchangeable, spherical lenses. A strap fits behind the dog’s head to keep the goggles in place while it runs, jumps, sniffs, and generally does dog stuff.

The adjustable, one-size product fits dogs from about 35-100 pounds, depending on head size and shape.

OTHER INTERESTING ARTICLES INCLUDE -

Bike Camping Gear Made & Tested In America
    Wood Splitting Hack - just add tires

7. happyflowerlady

Since we are mostly at home with our dogs; I don't have to worry about getting them ready for camping. However, the weather has warmed up a whole lot here, and it was in the 90's most of last week, and supposed to be even hotter this next week.
    We have one of those little Intex swimming pools out in the back yard, and when it is hot, we can splash around and get cooled off. We decided to get the dogs a little kiddie pool so they can keep cool on the hot days, too.
    It is about a foot deep and six feet across; so it is just the right size for my two little dogs. I am not sure that they were impressed with the idea of swimming; but I think that they do feel better after they have their little swim, too. Then , they sit in the shade while I get in the People Pool and splash around in circles to cool down.
    It works pretty good; and I think it will make the summer heat easier for the dogs.They are usually inside, except for early morning and evening, and short trips outside during the day; but I think that the water freshens them up, and they are getting used to swimming now.

Here is our little pool in the back yard. So, if I am not online, you will know where I am at....

image.jpg

8. Northern Dancer

Great...I've often wondered how it might be if I lived in a warmer part of the country. I do like the pronounced four seasons - but I sure do hanker for the warm weather.

campforums and happyflowerlady like this.
  9. happyflowerlady

Having four seasons is fine when you are able to deal with them. Since I grew up in northern Idaho and lived there for many years, and also in Washington State; I was very used to snow , and having to cope with it in the winter. When my kids were growing up, we would take the horses and ride out into the deep snow, and enjoyed that immensely. At Christmas time, we rode out into the woods, took along the hand saw, and cut down our Christmas tree, and then tied a rope on it and dragged it back to the house with the horses.

Now, the last thing that I want to have to do is shovel any more snow; and I have grown to really like the warmer weather down here. We still have all four seasons; just not to the extent that you have in the north. Pansies are actually a winter flower down here! The hills around here do get snow; so the people that live in the higher elevations have more of "the Winter Experience" than we have down here in the Huntsville valley. When it is this hot, I have to modify my schedule, and go outside first thing in the morning before it gets hot; so I can do my garden watering, or do it last thing in the evening as it is starting to cool off.

This might not be the life for everyone; but it seems to be the right one for me. Plus........we have FIREFLIES ! I love fireflies!

10. campforums

Not too much of it is happening this season it seems... quite cool for summer in these parts

Cool, we have a town called Huntsville around here as well. It is a common name I think. Well I guess no matter where you live in the world, there will be something about the weather to complain about haha

11. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Well you're always learning something new I guess, I have to admit doggy camping gear...or even just safety tips is something I've never given any thought to. I guess there is a market for it though.

12. Northern Dancer

A few years back Reese (my Black Labrador Retriever) and I hiked up a shallow part of the Nith river for a considerable distance. It was great fun. Two weeks after we got home he had a six inch spot on his side shedding fur to baldness. I rush him off to the vet to learn that he had picked up a parasite from the water. For a small fee we managed to get rid of the critters in about a months time.

Here is my regular equipment list for Reese (in no particular order).

Camp Bed with attached blanket - Normally used at base camp.
    Forest Cape - To protect him against low branches and burrs.
    Back Pack - He carries his own food and the first aid kit.
    Life Jacket - When canoeing.
    Canoe floor mats - To prevent slipping and sliding.
    Jacket - When he gets cold.
    Bear Bell - Not to scare bears but to hear him in the forest.
    Dog Clicker - For out of sight call back.
    Skunk Shampoo - Never leave home without it.
    Regular Shampoo - They love to roll around don't they?
    Short leash.
    Tag cover - To stop the confounded rattle of his tags at night.
    Dog Towel.
    Enclosed in the first aid kit are a tick tweezers.
    Sufficient food and dog treats.

Onatah and happyflowerlady like this.
  13. campforums

That is quite a list, is he able to carry most of that himself?

14. Northern Dancer

No...he has his master along to do all that for him. :( The circumstances dictate what I bring along. Did I say he has winter shoes? In the past when we have wintered camped it was important that I keep his pads from freezing. I tell ya...he has as much personal equipment as I have.

15. campforums

Ya, I can't imagine that you need all of that stuff for every trip. Is he the kind of dog that enjoys wearing his outfits? Or the kind of dog who tries to shake it all off?

16. Northern Dancer

________________________________________________________________ :)

He is well trained and I make sure that is done. He gets a little perturbed in the summer if he has to wear a chest vest to protect him from sticks and burrs. Other than that he is just great - one of the best dogs I have had.

17. campforums

That is good to hear, I hope he is feeling well enough that you get to at least take him to do something with you this summer. The reason I asked about him carrying his packs is because I have seen some dogs who do stuff like that.

Dog_Carrying_Bag.jpg

18. Northern Dancer

Reese has two packs. One comes in two parts - a vest and a pack. It is important that the pack fits the dog correctly and that the combined weight is appropriate for the size of the dog. It also has crests on his pack/vest - he has a Fifty Mile Hiking Crest, Trail Dog, I'm friendly - Ask to Pet Me, a Saint John Ambulance Crest, Algonquin Crest and a Scouts Canada. There have been times that he has been very popular with the children.

19. campforums

Well, some dogs can carry more than others....

056f06d0c4a4fe1e1d77c388846cf14d.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  20. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Wow! Way to prove me wrong...that's quite the impressively massive list you've got going there. I can't imagine bringing all that but I think it's great that you take your dog's care so seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted