1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you bring anything extra?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by JessiFox, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I was just wondering, aside from dressing appropriately to begin with, do you bring anything extra with you in terms of attire? Maybe something additional to help with the cold or rain if conditions get that way?

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Bring lots of extra underwear and socks. Well in Hawaii its mostly flip flops. But you are a extreme hiker, hours on end, you need to take care of your feet. Don't forget to bring some can goods just in case you are not able to search for food.

3. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Ah yes, how easily people end up forgetting necessities like that...some things don't seem memorable to people until you're in desperate need of them! My climate is nothing like Hawaii, lol, no flip flopping here :(.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

What you wear on your feet is very important, depending on the area where you are hiking or camping. If there are no venomous snakes in the area, a good pair of hiking boots or even tennies will be fine for the expedition. However, if you are out walking on trails where there might be any dangerous snakes; it is certainly very important to wear good leather hiking boots that go at least mid-way up your calf.

I was bitten by a copperhead; and it was NO fun! The good part was that it was right in my own yard; so I was easily able to go to the hospital for treatment. However, if I had been out in the middle of the woods somewhere; it might have been a completely different story. I was just wearing sandals, and it was a small copperhead; so I at first thought that I had been scraped by a rose bush, or blackberry vines. Then, I realized that I didn't have either roses, or blackberries near where I was at; so I turned around to look, and there was a coiled up snake giving me a hateful look that said he was ready to strike again. After that, I didn't wear my sandals out where there might be snakes, and I bought myself a sturdy pair of hiking boots.

5. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I always bring extra drinking water and granola bars just in case. I think the most important equipment most people overlook is a flare gun.

6. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Oh wow...you're fortunate that you were able to get help right away, they can be quite dangerous in the wrong conditions. I honestly hadn't given that too much thought...snakes absolutely terrify me, on top of the question of whether they're venomous or not being relevant. I try to stick to places where there are unlikely to be many snakes, but it's impossible to say there won't be any :(.

7. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

One thing that I usually take along with me when I am out fishing, or even camping, is a wide-brimmed hat. If you are back into the woods, then it is probably not a problem; however, if you are out sitting in that nice sunshine, waiting for a fish to nibble on your hook, then having a hat to shelter your head from the sun is an excellent idea.

I have a lightweight, foldable sunhat that I wear when I am outside in the summer, even when I am just at home working in my own yard. I enjoy the sunshine, but not beating down on my head and face; but I don't want a heavy hat that causes you to sweat and insulates the heat into your scalp, either, so the lightweight, white, wide-brimmed sunhat works perfectly for what I need.

Besides, it looks cute...........that is always important, you know.

MacGyver likes this.
  8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

A wide brimmed hat? I don't know anyone who wears a wide brimmed hat.

campforums and happyflowerlady like this.
  9. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...that was fun knee...MacGyver - like your style! :)

DO I BRING ANYTHING EXTRA?
    I make sure I bring along extra
    • Humour
    • Corny Jokes
    • Fun Stuff
    • Great Attitude
    • Fabulous Friends
    • lots of food,
    ya just can't have enough of that stuff!
    upload_2015-1-5_15-41-3.jpeg

campforums likes this.
  10. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I don't know if was you who bucked the trend but wide brimmed hats seem to be making a comeback, I noticed a whole lot more people wearing them last summer than I normally do

11. Northern Dancer

Tilley's

campforums likes this.
  12. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

A lot of that probably has to do with more and more people worrying about skin cancer. There are places even selling hats with full face shields. I probably should worry about skin cancer myself since it runs in the family, but my more immediate concern is my eyes. Especially as I've gotten older, I can't handle any kind of bright light or glare for too long. I have polarized sunglasses everywhere - in the vehicles at home and work, by the doors in the house, in the camping box, the tackle box, etc... With the matte black underside, the hat really helps - sometimes to the point where I can go a while without the glasses.

13. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I imagine anything extra would be the important things I needed or had forgotten on the previous trip. There is always that one thing that could have solved the problem at hand that is left behind at home. That tool or extra food, or article of clothing that would have improved a bad day, if only it had not been left behind.

14. campforums

True, I remember when I was a small kid and I was at the beach or somewhere out in the sun my parents would always make me wear one of those wide brimmed hats to protect against the sun. I must admit that I never really got any harsh sun burns when I was wearing one of those.

15. Northern Dancer

I'm a great list man...one for every camp occasion. If it ain't on the list is ain't go-in no where. When at base camp I always have my handy dandy camp tool kit - from hooks, to sling shot, from tent repair patches, to paint brushes, from pencils and thumb tacks, hooks, and extra matches, I have it just about covered.

16. campforums

Paintbrushes?!! Is that for any last minute touch ups to Mr. Bear?

I think you need to be kicked out of the minimalist's thread for all that stuff.

17. Northern Dancer

...I'm a failure :(,
    but then again, I'm always encouraged when a colleague says to me, "You wouldn't happen to have_____________ would you?" OF COURSE I DO! :)

Paint brushes ? I hope none of them there parks peoples read this. But I'm in the habit of leaving a little sign of my presence. A bear paw, a bear, perhaps a wolf. Last year I painted a moose on a side of a live tree that was missing some bark. Other times I take a crack at dot painting and see how it turns out.

You have seen this before...

280qcck.jpg

18. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

A bunch of years back, one of my camping buddies was all beaming while he showed off his air tank. "If anyone gets a flat, I've got you covered", he said. I walked over to my truck, grabbed a piece of my own gear and told him, "Here - when you're done pumping up someone's tire, I'll fill your tank back up with this compressor". Everyone laughed while he walked back to his truck, laughing, but shaking his head. "What don't you have in that truck?"

Once in a while someone will still bring that little episode up and we all get a chuckle out of it. I won't tell people online what the full nick is because some of it isn't exactly nice (still funny though), but I will say that my camping buddies put "12 volt" before the MacGyver. Half a dozen kinds of lights, stereo, filet knife, rotary tool, reciprocal saw, drill, coffee maker, water pump, inverter... gotta have my toys!

19. campforums

That is kind of interesting, do you enjoy knowing that people will probably get a kick out of coming across your markings in the park? Who knows how long they will last also, people will probably be enjoying it for many years to come.

20. Northern Dancer

It's my practice to paint small markers on rocks embedded in the ground - frequently on a trail. I usually do it in black with the standard hobby paint knowing that it will eventually wash off without any damage to the environment. When I'm in the area I look for them. Within a year or two they sort of look like an ancient symbol. I stay with a handful of models to avoid the graffiti look and they are rare as not to create an eye sore. I would hope that they are favoured, especially by children and youth.

21. Northern Dancer

Go ahead, whisper it in my ear.....promise.....I won't tell anyone.....really.....I wont.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVk_JRV2eZuazRHLpXzWY2vMF5pmXaCMrFfwUhQ0UkSyQpj9TP.jpg

22. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

"What happens in Green Ridge State Forest, stays in Green Ridge State Forest" :)

23. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5StPIGokpT449ZDft-WJpFswZ0UQCSxVxijrDhqhScUFtM0AmZw.jpg
    I can't believe you said that....after all we've been through together. :angelic:

24. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

If you ever decide to come down from the Great White North and happen to find yourself in Maryland during one of our trips...

25. Northern Dancer

...you know something? Stranger things have happened.

Glad you are with us MacGyver - you make the site fun and interesting. If you ever plan to come up to the Great White North to Algonquin...

Draft saved Draft deleted