1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Does colour matters?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by whnuien, May 6, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

When we are active outside and the weather is hot or the sun is too bright, some people say that it's important to wear clothing with a right colour for example, dark colours absorb heat unlike bright colours like white help us to feel cooler. Do you agree with this and did you ever care about what colour of shirt you are wearing when you are active outside?

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I agree that lighter colors of cotton fabrics can help you feel cooler on humid days then dark heavy fabrics, but I always where what is most comfortable for whatever task I have at hand. Like lightweight long-sleeved shirts while picking blackberries for thorn protection and cotton knit polo's when walking or hiking. I think in terms of comfort, but also protection from insects as well. Light fabric's reflect away a lot of the heat, while dark fabric's retain and absorb heat.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well the reason that some clothes are dark is because the properties of the material or dye cause it to absorb more of the light it interacts with. Lighter colored clothes reflect back most of the light. It is the same reason that when you look up at the night sky it is black, because the earth is facing away from the sun during the night and there is very little light except from distant stars entering your retinas. However unlike your eyes which are sensitive to light and use the light entering your eyes to see things, your shirt just heats up with the light it absorbs which isn't very pleasant on a hot summer day.

Absorption-of-Light.gif

Also as with light/dark, certain colors mean that your clothes absorb more light. The color of the shirt means that it is reflecting that color light into your eyes which is how your eyes perceive all colors. The colors to the left have a smaller wave length and therefore carry more energy. So for example if you were to wear a red shirt, it should be cooler than a blue shirt.

6_c9b95f985acbe749f13bf6301a3180a85.jpg

So yeah sorry for getting so nerdy but I definitely agree and can feel the difference first hand when I wear a black shirt or pat my dog when she's standing in the sun (she has black fur).

killeroy154 likes this.
  4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Thanks for sharing this information Erik, I found it very interesting and not nerdy at all. :)

campforums likes this.
  5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Light colored clothes will not absorb most light and that will help you keep - that's correct. Dark colored clothes will absorb light and that will generate some heat - but how much is uncertain. Therefore the most important to consider is the materials used and the construction of that particular piece of clothing. For example, a white winter coat is still going to be very warm despite it's color. A black t-shirt is still going to be cooler then a white long-sleeve shirt. Etc.

One other to keep in mind - bright colors attract attention... so if that's not something you want go with dark... Just beware of hunting season.

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

So wearing something dark absorb heat which makes sense which I always brace myself when I wear a black shirt outside. I try to go with light colored clothes as much as possible. Most of my shirts are dark except for some which I hold dearly.

7. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

black absorbs most of the light (hottest) white reflects most of the light (coolest)

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I rather wear color that is not going to make me feel uncomfortable. Black obviously absorbs most of the heat. I am going to the movies tomorrow so I need to wear some sort of light color so I would not get burned.

9. mett1982

mett1982 Novice Camper

I agree with that dark colors absorb more sun, making you feel more hot and uncomfortable. When being outside I try to keep to lighter colors because I hate the feeling of being overly hot. I remember one time I went hiking on a warm, sunny day and I wore a black tank top with black wind pants and I tell you I will never make that mistake again. I was dying on heat within the first 20 minutes of the hike. Also, when it comes to clothing, I really try to wear something that is loose fitting and comfortable. When it's hot out, the last thing I want is pants, shorts or shirt that is clinging to everything on my body.

10. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

Light colors will reflect the heat away from you. You always be wearing light colored clothes when the weather is too hot to avoid sweating. Consider wearing dark colored clothes when the weather is cold. Dark colored clothes will absorb heat thus keeping you warm and dry.

11. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

It is said that some animals, mainly game such as deer, are unable to see bright orange. This is why hunters sometimes wear it. I can see this being useful if you are in an area where there are other people so that they can see you and at the same time it may prove somewhat useful if you are in a life-threatening situation with a wild animal. I can't confirm 100% whether the latter is true, but according to the hunters I often speak to, this is the case.

Depending on the weather conditions of the environment you intend to camp in, I'd say taking the darkness/lightness of your clothing into account could prove very useful. Also take into account the fact that your presence can either negatively or positively effect the enjoyment of others who are camping in your area.

Therefore the color of not only your clothes, but the color of your tent and equipment should also be taken into consideration to some extent. More earthly, natural colors are ideal if you are in an environment that has reasonable temperatures where you needn't worry about it getting too warm or cold. It also helps give off that more natural feeling and mood if you are doing the above.

It has also been reported that biting insects and flies tend to be more attracted to dark colors such as blue and black. More natural colors apparently act as repellents for that type of thing. Given all that has been mentioned, I'd say this shows that even something as trivial as the color of your clothing, could actually have a drastic impact on your enjoyment when camping.

12. campforums

I did not know that, I had always thought that the reason hunters wore bright orange was to make themselves visible to other hunters so they don't get shot! Thanks for the info.

13. Pretorius Bernadis

Pretorius Bernadis Novice Camper

Well Erik you really make me feel like I'm back at school again, but thanks for the information. I think quite a lot of people will will it very useful as well as interesting.

campforums likes this.
  14. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Lighter the hotter the day, tend to try and wear darkr on gloomier days but I don't think it helps that much without much sun.
    I do find though that always wearing a material that allows my skin the breath (cotton) no matter the weather is a great step towards allowing you body to adapt to the atmosphere and being more comfortable

15. firty

firty Novice Camper

thank for this information

16. campforums

No problemo! Welcome to Camping Babble :)

17. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

This solel depends on the weather while camping, and your personal preference. If it is cold, or a chilly temp, black or other dark colors are ideal as they will trap in any heat. If it is sweltering hot like it has been, I would suggest wearing white. It will do the opposite and actually reflect the heat away from you.

18. gracer

gracer Explorer

I tend to perspire easily especially when I hike, even if the weather is cool so I would usually wear light-colored clothes to help me feel cooler and more comfortable. I find dark clothing to be very warm and heavy on my skin when I am outdoors so I never wear dark-colored clothes especially black ones when we do outdoor activities.

19. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I still remember my grade school teacher telling us not to wear dark-colored clothes at night because it attracts mosquitoes. In my camping trips, I always wear light colored clothes because I believe that it turns off insects. But when my purpose in camping is also for hunting (birds) then I wear fatigue green because other colors are easily seen by birds and it is a certain avoidance of my prey particularly if my clothes are colored red. Green is actually a good color since it is refreshing to the eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted