1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dressing for the weather

Discussion in 'Attire' started by AurelioLeo, Mar 31, 2013.

1. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

How many of you gone camping thinking it's going to be hot and to find out that when the sun goes down it get's very cold and you got no coat? Or how about going camping and not packing a poncho in your backpack while on a hike? Rain can come in at anytime? What kind of clothing do you like to bring along with you while camping during different times of the year?

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I find that layers are the key to having flexible clothing for the outdoors. Another thing is to bring some large zipper bags so you can keep extra clothes dry or if something is wet it keeps the water off the dry clothes.

3. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I agree with layering up ,so you can shed layers and place them in your backpack if it gets warm. I like to use wool when I go winter camping even though it's alittle heavy. In tick country I like to use BDUs because I hate ticks coming up my legs.

4. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

Always bring a pair of long johns no matter what. And wool socks are also a safe bet. We bring windbreaker jackets. But I guess that can be the equivalent to a poncho. We learned a long time ago that just because it is sunny and 90F during the day. It is not always going to be like that as the sun goes down. We also bring sunglasses and either baseball hats or visors.

5. TABL

TABL Explorer

Yup! That's happened! I agree with layers. And we ALWAYS pack pants if it's going to be hot, because you never know.

6. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Yes, flexible clothing is an easy way to make sure you at least will be comfortable, especially if you get stuck somewhere over night. Another item that is good to have is a couple of large (garden sized) trash bags. They take up very little space, weigh next to nothing yet can be an "instant tent" in a pinch.

7. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

That's the reason why i bring sweaters and hoodies. One thing i've learned about mother nature is that she can be a huge liar sometimes lol.

8. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

Pants is always a plus to bring especially hiking. If you are wearing shorts and run into poison Ivy while hiking it's going to bring down the fun level. I been out in the bush when it was 90 degree weather during the day ,then that temp would drop in half at night.

Black garbage bags are also great to use as an emergency poncho. You can collect rain water with them or as you said use to help make a water proof shelter. If you get black garbage bags get the good ones. You pay for what you get ,so if you buy cheap you get cheap.

That's very true mother nature has no mercy on anybody. I hate it when you get into that hot/cold scenario. It's hot in the day and cold at night because it really plays with you physically.

That is an excellent idea on using ziplock bags to keep them dry. Even if your backpack is waterproof why take the chance. When clothes get wet in a pack they can get moldy.

campforums likes this.
  9. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I usually dressed in layers, but suppose I started off the day when it was warm, then I would carry a sweater and a lightweight windbreaker jacket in my backpack. I would have rain gear lightweight pants and an extra pair of socks. That way if the weather got cooler or rained I would be prepared for it.

Mostly it is important to get a weather report before starting out for a days hike. If your going to be gone several days then more thought needs to be put into the type and amount of clothes to bring along. It is foolish to carry more than you might need, but it is equally foolish to bring less then you might need.

I have done both thinking the day would be nice and getting caught in a down pour and getting totally soaked with no rain gear along, or carrying a sweater and extra clothes, and it being a really hot day made my load extra heavy with no relief. Careful planning is the best for any hike or camping trip.

10. Lita11

Lita11 Newbie

Mostly t.shirts and shorts for the summer season and in winter season the having warm jackets, overcoat and warm cloths is necessary.

11. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

T-shirts are good but sometimes when its extra hot a tank top is better

12. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I will prepare for almost anything. Of course in the summer I won't bring a very heavy coat, but I will bring a coat for chilly and rainy weather. Also, I will bring lighter clothing in case it blazes.

13. davbonpol13

davbonpol13 Newbie

The key to comfort is found in layers! As long as you have layers, yoou can peel them off according to the weather. I learned this by spending time up North. You don't want to get caught out in the cold so to speak,lol.

14. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

What kind of clothes should I wear if I am going to somewhere like Lake Tahoe? Would long sleeve attire be too much or just right? I never been to Lake Tahoe so I would not know what to wear. I only been to Caswell State Park and it would be quite warm in the summer and have a breeze in the fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted