1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Favorite clothing brands?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by bigteeth96, Aug 27, 2013.

1. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I have this cabela's wind/fleece jacket that keeps me warm in the winter, even though it is not big and puffy.

I've heard good things about North Face as well, but they seem to be a fashion thing around here.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'm a big fan of Under Armor, I started using their stuff when I used to play a lot of sports but realized that their casual wear stuff is really good quality also. I like that its really warm and not big and puffy like you said. In the winter when I'd normally need a jacket I can sometimes get away with just my Under Armor hoodie. I don't mean to make this sound like a marketing pitch but I really do like their products.

3. TABL

TABL Explorer

Sadly, most of the good decent brands seem to be so stinking expensive. I'm a SAHM with 4 kids, so 6 people on one income. I simply cannot afford big-ticket items. That being said, my daughter has a north face jacket that is so lightweight yet warm-- I want one! Seriously! And my kids do have long-sleeve under armour shirts because they need them, they keep them warm and are just a layer.
    My 14 year old thinks Under Armour is like God. He has an AU backpack, and sport socks, etc. He loves that name.

I have bought Land's End jackets and they are good quality and keep you warm.
    I do know that cheap stuff doesn't work, so we try to buy better to get our money's worth.

4. campforums

You're right that big name brands can be expensive but if you shop around you would be surprised how cheap you can some things for. Discount and outlet stores often have the same things that are sold in normal stores at extremely reduced prices. Also it is not always the name brands the offer the best quality so it is good to check out some of the house brands that big chain stores usually carry.

5. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Im not familiar with good brand names. But I am interested to know which is the best bang for buck.

Canada-goose and moose knuckle are overrated and expensive

Northface seems ok, but im not sure

campforums likes this.
  6. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

I'm a decently big fan of a classic LL Bean flannel. I like to camp in the fall and find it very comfortable-but fabric wise and heat-wise. I also think socks are wildly important to camping and often go overlooked. If you're backpacking, you need socks that provide cushioning and insulation in moderate to cold climates. Lightweight socks for summer provide more cushioning the liners alone but can be wore in addition to liners. I prefer REI for camping socks as I find them very sturdy and able to handle several different hikes over a short period of time.

7. campforums

I couldn't agree more, socks are probably the most under-looked article of clothing. Your feet being the extremities of your body means that they are usually the first to get cold because they are the hardest for blood to circulate too. I have a couple pairs of super warm wool socks that have served me well over the years and they weren't even expensive at all either!

IMG_20150106_022051.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted