1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

First Aid For Leg & Other Chafing

Discussion in 'Attire' started by 2sweed, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

We all at one time or the other have felt the burn and uncomfortable of chafing, on our legs and in other tender areas of our body where sweating and moisture, or clothing rubs can happen. While prevention is hindsight, it is necessary to apply treatment as soon as the problem starts or regret will set in rapidly.
    There are many different products available such as Body Glide and Zinc Oxide, but also other moisture barrier products, like Desitin Paste will work.

What is your favorite brand or product that you have used to prevent chafing?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Zinc Oxide is simply deodorant, no? I like using baby or talcum powder because it keeps the area dry.

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Bond's Medicated powder or a generic equivalent works for me.

4. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

campforums and MacGyver like this.
  5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've heard of people using coconut oil for that but I can't stand the smell/taste of it which is why I never bothered with it.

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have found that the heavy ointment that they make for diaper rash works really well for chafed areas, and I think that is my preferred treatment.
    I have also used coconut oil, which is really great for healing skin abrasions, and so is aloe gel. Fresh gel from an aloe plant seems to work the best; but it not a likely thing to be carrying out on a camping trip, whereas a small container of commercial gel would be easy to take along.
    Another product that works wonders on all kinds of scrapes, burns, or chafed areas is bag balm. Admittedly, it is not the best smelling stuff; but it certainly does a great job of healing something up again. Plus, it is easy to take along and comes in an almost indestructible tin.

campforums likes this.
  7. gracer

gracer Explorer

I also agree that a balm is good for preventing chafing while hiking but I remember my doctor telling me that it is no longer advisable to apply a balm when the chafing is already there. Just like what @happyflowerlady said, I have also proven that the creams and ointments they use for diaper rashes are also very effective in relieving the symptoms of chafing. It could really come in handy to bring one when you're hiking.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Our go to medication for skin problems is the vaporub which is an ointment that if mint flavored. Although it was not a basic item in scouting, I have that in my knapsack because I easily get irritated by insect bites much more that I am like a magnet for mosquitoes. For the legs, we wear thick fabric like denim or corduroy so that insect bites couldn't penetrate. I am not comfortable in wearing long sleeves so that's my usual problem because my arms were fully exposed. And when there is an insect bite, I would wash the skin with soap and water before drying it and applying the vaporub ointment.

Draft saved Draft deleted