1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm a four season camper and spend most of my summer in the hub - Algonquin Park, Haliburton Water Trails, and the Haliburton Reserve Forest. I would be interested in hearing from others.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think the most of us are still recovering from the Christmas holidays and are not posting as much as we should. Did you lose your electric during the bad ice storm that hit your area? I hope your pipes did not freeze.
    Anyways I hope to seeing more from you. I have several friends who live in your area and some love camping and post on the forum. Start new topics or just post responses to others. It is always fun to learn about the camping experiences of others, the true and fiction, (big fish that got away) lol and funny and embarrassing. Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum.

3. Northern Dancer

Thanks for the welcome...I'm new to this stuff...but the site looked really interesting. We had a lot of tree damage, more that I first determined but other than that things were fine. It reminded me of a winter camp a number of years ago. I'm just planning for the sumer and looking into new equipment and upgrades.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hey, I'm glad you like the site! I've been to Algonquin (I think everyone who likes camping in Ontario has) but not those 2 Haliburton parks although I have been in that area at friends' cottages (around Bracebridge/Gravenhurst) and when I used to go to summer camp around the Hunstville area. It is a very nice area so I'm sure the places you camped at were great. Were you on one of the lakes?

There was about 350k people without power right after that storm in my city, some people didn't have power for as long as 3 days! That must have made for an awful Christmas but I was lucky enough to have power back within 24 hours.

5. 2sweed

Glad to hear you did not suffer without electricity for a long period of time. I always think about all the broken water pipes from frozen pipes and people being stuck in their homes with no heat. This coming week we are suppose to get really cold weather like up to -20 degrees below zero. I am not looking forward to that. Hope you are ready too as it is suppose to come down through Canada.

6. Northern Dancer

I lived in Thunder Bay for a few years and the weather we experienced in this neck of Ontario is more than common there. A few years back we were out winter camping on the Nith River when we had a severe ice storm. It was really freaky as we lay in our sleeping bags listening to trees crashing to the ground. My dog Reese barked and howled all night giving the whole experience a eery feeling. Next morning everything was covered in a pasty white ice - it looked like some one had come through the night with a paint sprayer and painted everything in sight.

Anyway... I'm thinking of summer and muse myself with little projects to get ready.

Hope you have a fabulous year in what ever life presents to you!

Mark

7. 2sweed

That must have been really freaky as one of those limbs or trees could have come down on your tent. If it would have been my dog he would have been so scared, he would have been sitting on my sleeping bag crowding me out. lol When you are winter camping do you have one of those heating/cooking stoves in your tent or is roughing it your style? Do you hunt during your outings or just go for fun?

8. Northern Dancer

I have a four season tent that comes with a stove jack - and I use it. I'm not a hunter other than the use of a camera. I have excellent equipment and have fun using the same.

Could you explain what a trophy point is? - BM Mark

9. 2sweed

I was really into photography several years back. I loved taking landscape and wild animal shots, as well as, historical buildings. However, now I just do historical places and buildings for postcards. My only problem is that the newer computers do not allow the use of older software, thus I am worried about my ability to do more postcards. It is a picture to watercolor in a few seconds. Without a XP computer I am doomed. Alas, thou I have hundreds of pictures and slides from younger days in Florida.

Is it tricky when using a tent and a stove together, as in fire danger? When I was growing up we had heavy canvas tents, but these light material tents seem to me to be something that might burn easy if given the chance?

Do you mean here on the forum concerning the "trophy point", I think it has to do with the quality of your posts and things you do on the forum. That is a good question for campingforums admin. to answer.

10. Northern Dancer

11. Northern Dancer

The tent is especially designed for winter camping - the stove is the right size and can burn a log up to four hours or so. I also have an extra outside protector around the chimney to catch the cinders. The tent, though not fire proof is fire retarded. Never-the-less one needs to keep on top of safety issues.

I've been trying to do a better job with my photography too. We are fortunate to have better technology. I've been experimenting with video as well. It is not as easy as I first thought.

Thanks for an answer for the "trophy" question - I'm still learning about the forum.

BM - Mark

12. 2sweed

While I in my mind would love to get back out and do some camping, as you do, with the tent and stove for keeping warm and cooking, I doubt now that I will ever get the chance. Old age and stiff knees makes walking on un-level ground hard to do not alone trying to climb mountains. Our state is filled with mountains and rivers, valleys and rocky areas where very few can walk through. But I may get out this summer and hike on a dirt road through the forest. lol

13. Northern Dancer

Actually...at base camp I don't sleep on the ground. I have a military cot, with a three inch mattress and a solid winter bag. I also have tent furniture that I make in the winter...night stand, coat rack, table lamp, floor lamp and such. It is part of the camp fun that I enjoy. It really doesn't make any difference how old you are... it is all to do about equipment.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  14. 2sweed

Sounds like with the right equipment it makes dealing with ground conditions and sleeping comfortably a comfortable setup. I have gone with friends and visited them when they camp locally but found I am unable to enjoy some of the camping restrictions that in my youth seemed only a minor problem. Having to get up in the night and make trips to outhouses set up on hills is a daunting chore and the ability to get my legs and knees working can put a damper on camping excitement. But I enjoy learning the art of doing in case a occasion arises that I find that camping is a real must and at least then I will still know how best to get the job done and be of value in setting up a tent and doing all other camp chores and being a real help having knowledge, instead of being totally clueless.

15. Northern Dancer

I can appreciate your sentiments.

16. Northern Dancer

What I did in the past and what I know now has made a big difference. My associates accuse me of going glamping - luxury camping. I still tent and appreciate that the most. I've found a place that is a little more remote though still within reach of other humans if need be. I love the place - it just teems with wild life; from moose, deer and bear and to a whole host of other creatures and other campers are far and few in between.

17. 2sweed

As you say camping with a bit of luxury makes camping that more relaxing and fun. If you ache all over in the morning or your hurt and can't get to help, that can put real dampers on any trip. So if camping is too be for enjoyment then I would say bring on the luxury and make each trip a good memory. :)

18. Northern Dancer

The luxury that I talk about is camp appropriate. [...well, at least I think so.] For example since I'm out for long periods of time I have a Goal Zero Solar pack that enables me to have lights and also a source of power for other items. I have the Base Camp Katadyn water filter system so I do not have to biol water. And yes I weakened - I have a private privy with wash basin. My luxury is reserved for base camp BUT I do have some special luxuries for tripping like my ultra light kavlar prospector canoe and I have a Helinox lightweight chair to name a few.

Its fun to see what's new in camping equipment each year and I like to visit the various shows.

19. 2sweed

Does your family enjoy camping as much as you do? Were you brought up learning these skills or are you entirely self-taught? I wish they had more of the shows around here, but I might as well be in the north woods of Alaska, as everything is far removed from the area in which I live.

20. Northern Dancer

I'm afraid not - most of my camping is solo with my dog Reese. I do have a five day canoe trip in August with a friend and I'm a member of the Care Team for Camp Wendake for a week in August. On occasion friends will join me for short jaunts. I'm also attached to Scouts Canada and will join them in some of their adventures.

A lot of my skills are self taught but I've taken courses from time to time to improve and learn more. There are numerous groups and clubs that cater to a variety of interests in our area - canoeing, hiking, camping, bicycling and just about every other outdoor endeavour - I suppose we are lucky when you think of it.

And yes I do instruct. I've been doing that for awhile and keeps the camp fire burning through the winter so to speak. The area that I spend most time in is organized camping. That would include leadership training and development along with bush craft [that I prefer to call "the arts of camping"].

Draft saved Draft deleted