1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I can't believe that I'm listening to an old lady...

I do store a bit of water - but I constantly change it. I do have two military type water filter systems that can purify even the dirtiest water. My suggestion would be that you store the bottles in an upstairs cupboard and rotate your supply. You can get water sealed bottles made especially for emergencies and survival but these tend to be a bit costly. They have a better shelf life but they too will eventually deteriorate.

I'm fortune - I think - to live minutes from the Grand River. That would be my immediate supply if there was a disturbance in our water system.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I am not that old, yet I am not young either, so that leaves me at the higher end of the younger of it all.
    Seriously thanks for the water tip. I am trying to store filtered water in glass jars, as the plastic bottles either leak or allow mold to grow. I have added drops of vinegar to some with some success, but long term was looking for something better than clorax drop use. I have iodine tablets as well. We have streams not far away, but not wanted to go looking if I can be prepared at home.

3. Northern Dancer

I don't know how big the glass jar is but I suggest bigger is best. I use the large plastic jug and I haven't had any trouble with it at all. I find them convenient rather than a lot of small ones. I find that rotation is the best way to go too - once a week or so.

igybsi.jpg

4. 2sweed

I generally use bottles that I can easily handle. Yes, big is better if you have lifting abilities or a hand pump, but I generally use large juice bottles with handles for storing some water and easy of moving and pouring. Since I am still getting settled here more spaces need to be cleaned out before entrusting my survival foods and water to the spot. When I was moving most of my bottles went to recycle and now I am rebuilding my supply.

I noticed in another post you had pictures of your winter tent set up with an extra side attachment entry, does it help keep your tent warmer and less snow dragged in? Seemed to be a good idea to have it. :wideyed::watching:

5. Northern Dancer

We can pretend that this is a turkey. :chicken: Happy Thanksgiving - from Canada. I know your Nation's Thanksgiving is held in November. [November 28th] It is our National Thanksgiving Day celebrating the blessings of a successful harvest. Sad...I don't get the impression that a lot of our citizens are that thankful...about anything.

Anyway - the vestibule on the front of the tent is really great if there is a rain or snow storm. In the winter you can knock the snow off your suit and stump your boots before going inside your tent and save a bit of the heat too. In the summer the door becomes an extended canopy for added sun protection and there are huge windows at the side for ventilation. It is bigger than it looks. I've used it as a kitchen is areas where there is no fear of wild life invasion.

When we get fully into the season I plan to take a lot of pictures to share. I haven't done that for awhile.

Do you have one of those emergency food packs - the 30, 60, 90 day boxes? I have a small one that is for 7 days. And of course you know that I have a lot of camp equipment. :happy:

2ui8zva.jpg Summer time use.

2yv14yr.jpg Sorry...I couldn't resist!

6. 2sweed

Actually, no I don't have one of those food packs. I buy mountain house meals for 2, on sale and I buy a different ones that I really like for breakfast and lunch, and dinner meals. I also have some things in the big #10 cans that last up to twenty-five years if not opened. Those would serve any long term emergency, where eating the same thing for a while might be the only option. Plus, if it is that bad most would be glad to just have something to eat. I like the meal packages as they can last up to 3-7 years if properly stored. How about you?

7. Northern Dancer

Sounds like you are well organized. I agree with you, rather than shelling out a lot of bucks at one time building a supply over a period of time would be a lot cheaper. It also provides a better opportunity to pick and choose and buy when on sale. Having a rotation date is not a bad idea either.

I also have solar lights and conventional battery operated flash lights including a radio. I have a few of the full package meals [MRS] that come with a heating device that is activated by water. I can get them in this neck of the woods. I priced them in the states and though there are made there I can get them cheaper here. Not sure why. I have two winter sleeping bags.

I have a hunch that you also prepare your own recipes too - cereals, beans and the like. :)

29c2qmq.jpg
    This is just one MRE meal - complete.
    Sort of a treat meal if you like. They have a long shelf life as well.

8. 2sweed

Just stopped in to say hello. I feel bad for staying away for so long. Miss chatting with you. How was your last fall camp out? Are you camping out in this cold snowy weather? Did you get buried in snow like NY did? :)

9. Northern Dancer

A sight for sore eyes....glad you are back.

We had a great snow fall, the temperatures climbed, there was light rain - and the snow left. And yes, I am well prepared for winter camping for early in the new year. There are two outings planned at the moment - one in Everton and one in Empessa. I am actually looking forward to some winter adventure - as mild as I practice it.

campforums likes this.
  10. 2sweed

Today was the first day of deer season. All the snow has melted away which makes tracking deer impossible. The friends I spoke with said they saw nothing, no deer at all. Told them to look in their backyards. :) My brother says that's where all the deer hang out when he is not at home. His wife sees them and when he arrives they are gone. I am hoping someone gets one to share as I love venison meat in my pasta.

When is deer season in Canada?

11. Northern Dancer

Good question - my hunting skills are as terrific as my fishing skills.

Anyway, I looked up deer hunting in Ontario - WOW - I couldn't believe all the rules and regulations, from firearms (we are tough on that stuff in this country) to the use of cross bows and the like. Apparently it is not as simple as it might be. Every situation is different - the use of dogs, no dogs, bows, shot guns blah blah blah. It seems to me though it is just about the same as your State.

Last year the Ministry approved feeding deer because of the unusual winter conditions. I did not know that it is illegal to feed deer in this Province. Anyway...

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It is still pretty much completely dry over here but over the weekend I did most of my winter shopping. I got some nice warm outer clothes that I was painfully lacking last year.

I didn't know you were a hunter? ;)

13. Northern Dancer

Actually....I'm not. The reference to my fishing skills was to indicate - I don't fish and don't like it. Hunting falls into the same category. I'm not a gun man either.

14. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

What I usually use with water to keep it fresh is a bit of hydrogen peroxide. It kills bacteria and mold just like bleach drops do, but it actually puts oxygen into your body, instead of destroying oxygen like bleach does; so it is always safe to use and drink.
    It is also supposed to keep milk fresh longer; but I don't buy much milk, so I haven't used the peroxide for that.

15. 2sweed

Thank you happyflowerlady, for your water tip. use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach or iodine tablets. great idea. I don't hunt deer or other critters, but my friend's do and when they get enough to share I receive a few bags of ground venison. My dad was the fisherman in the family, but my brothers and I learned how at a early age. Fishing trips for me were spent exploring the woods instead of standing around waiting for a fish to nibble on my worm filled hook.

Yes, there are so many laws on the books these days for any kind of hunting and permits for this and that. Best to leave it to the sportsmen who like all the challenges of hunting. :)

16. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah, I meant @2sweed but it sounds like she doesn't either :oops:

17. Northern Dancer

I have that organized now.

18. 2sweed

Glad to hear that is all straightened out and it is organized. I seemed to be at a loss for words and the only camping I am doing now is in my living room. No tent but I sleep with one ear open to the sound of mom stirring like you might do in minding your fire on a cold winter night. As throw another log on it or to let Reese out in the middle of the night. Yes, this is the most fun I have had since yesterday. Same thing day after day. She sleeps and I lay half awake all night. I think I might become a zombie, from lack of sleep, but I catch her sneaking out of bed. Sun-downing in camping language is watching the sun go down. Here it is watching mom get up over and over to do an important task, or talk to someone who is not really there. Now that I have shared my camping story I shall turn out the lantern and go to sleep.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4d9afBwPSxL5rryKeS93wd7g8Gyhqhjkt7FTOSpIoZBFbfgJ4.jpg

19. 2sweed

Is it hard to adjust to spending more time at work and less time in the woods camping? I would think it must be hard to get in the stay at home mode, compared to the adventures of being out with the guys or boy scouts, or off solo with Reese. By the way my camping story was with humor intended not pity. Somethings must be taken with a smile and I smile a lot. By the way are you getting snow in your area yet? It is cold here with no snow.

20. Northern Dancer

It seems that we talk and plan the weekends but, like a mighty ship upon the ocean - there is no wind to set sail. So snow has been less than favourable to date. But that's okay, we hope that there will be lots of the white stuff on the ground when we execute the plan. Nothing sensational just a couple of weekends.

We/I are/am thinking of next summer already and have held some preliminary discussions. Though my first choice is the Forest the increased costs are motivating us in the direction of Algonquin Park and the interior. Our usual practice is to book on January 1st, February 1st and March 1st to get the places that we know are best. We/I were also thinking it might be time to try a location completely new and perhaps go a bit further afield. It's all fun, even just thinking about possibilities.

I can appreciate your circumstance in part, and have experienced delays in what I want to do so badly and what I must do because I have to.

Draft saved Draft deleted