1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Is it very difficult these days to camp over the border in NY state? It seems that there to are so many rules that prevent us from visiting Canada without a passport. I remember the good ole days when our neighbors to the north were much easier to visit. Seems a shame to make passage more official then necessary don't it! :rolleyes::thumbsup::happy:

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Don't we all. Things have changed. We don't seem to know who are friends are anymore. We are raising our children and youth to be suspicious of everyone and everything. We are growing recognizably ill as a species.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. 2sweed

Well I for one can recognize a friend when I see one or at least talk with one as a cyber buddy friend. :):)
    But your right children are being taught to be afraid or report on anyone including their own parents, guilty or not. I liked the old days the best. :)

4. Northern Dancer

There's wisdom in that statement. I have used camping as a background to enable people to experience a different kind of relationship void of fear. And yet, in the same token, embrace new and for me, exciting challenges that outdoor living can present. I think that simplicity has something to do with it.

5. 2sweed

When one takes to the woods to be alone or to share the gift of knowledge with others so that they might learn and expand their way of thinking in positive tones then that is a grand new life to embrace. But it also includes the simple down to earth old ways of living even if modern inventions like tents and comforts of home are included in the package. Thus you embrace the new and yet hold the old ways in your heart. :)

Hope your Christmas is a warm and bright one. And the New Year brings as many fond memories as this past one. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I think that any time we get closer to nature, our hearts beat happier, whatever our hobby of choice is. When I had horses, the feel of being in the saddle, the bonding with the horse, and the peacefulness of riding down the trail always seemed to just take away all of the cares of the day, and put my spirit at ease. Even just taking my kids for a day at the river, fishing and swimming, was a pleasure that we all enjoyed, and didn't need much money to do, either. Pretty much, I find my enjoyment now, from simply being out in my yard and working in the garden. Even weedeating is one of my pleasures of life now.
    I really enjoy the forum here, and interacting with others who also enjoy nature.

7. Northern Dancer

Thank you for your kind comments 2sweed and happyflowerlady; as the Commander and I observed - there are some mighty fine people who are with us.

There is a spirit that permeates and creates a kindred feeling.
    Each of us lives in a different part of the forest,
    but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
    It's that abiding and common ground that draws us together.
    It enables us to enjoy our babble and laugh at our antics.
    In an environment that is surrounded by tall trees,
    flooded by sunny rays, and with refreshing water that cleans
    the city dust from our souls,
    it sets us free.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1QDa4QHybe7VKzN4QNOuQwBquph5iN6P4vt9tG0fXt2GB8gX8Ig.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  8. 2sweed

So after the first of the year will you be back working again, or do you have the luxury of retirement now?

9. Northern Dancer

I wish...sort of. But...then again I'm not unhappy with my circumstance.

No, I'm on duty tomorrow until Monday.
    Next week begins some normalcy. There is an organized winter camp at the end of the month. We are a little shy of snow but perhaps by the end of January.

I'm already panting for the summer. During the winter months I make simple tent furniture and gadgets to adorn my tent. Chairs, tables, lamps and such take up some of the dark nights.

10. 2sweed

Well I imagine your weather is a lot like ours right now with very cold blasts of arctic air and high winds and blowing snow with white outs. I have not been out driving for almost a week because of first freezing rain that turned our streets into ice skating rings, and now this arctic cold. It was -13 and now it warmed up to -10, but is suppose to get colder during the night.
    Makes me look forward to summer when the weather turns nasty and I am stuck in the house on my day off. :bigtears::bigtears:

11. Northern Dancer

It has been cold hasn't it? Frozen locks, slow starting vehicles and such. But very bright and sunny days. What the heck - it's given me opportunity to exercise winter camp clothing. It helps me avoid being sloppy in care of myself outdoors. So...I have the down filled coat, the special mitts, the fur hat, the excellent boots etc. - Canada eh! :)

On a night like this (and I'm kinda hoping that it will not be as cold) one can go through an awful lot of wood.

12. shmuel.mule

shmuel.mule Newbie

Lucky, I went without hands and gloves. Could you believe the bus driver refused to let me on when I didn't have exact change? Luckily someone was able to lend me one so I could buy the tickets at the station: only no one was working. Unbelievable the driver wouldn't let me on in this weather.

13. Northern Dancer

I had that happen once - I hadn't taken a bus for an awful long time so I thought I would hop on one to go downtown. Well...I hopped on but had to hop off. So...I took the car instead. :(

14. 2sweed

Big problem in cold weather is those slow to start cars or the ones that finally do start but tend to not start again if your driving time is too short. My extra caregiver was late today as after her car started up after a few cranks and she stopped at a friends apartment for a minute and when she went to start it a second time no luck. Dead as a door nail. She did not remember my phone number and had to walk 5 blocks in this very cold -2 degree weather to get to my house. And to top it off she was wearing sneakers. My car started and I got my errands done, skidded on black ice :eek::oops: and made it back home safely. I gave the caregiver a pair of winter hiking boots to keep her feet from freezing, doing my good deed for today. :thumbsup:

15. Northern Dancer

That was thoughtful of you. I do agree, we help one another in times of difficulty. Every year at the end of November by the latest I get the car and van checked. It's not a full guarantee but it does help.

16. 2sweed

I do the same, but it seems that colder weather tends to zap the charge right out of batteries. My brother said that some newer cars must actually be moving, not just idling for the alternator to charge the battery. Seems like a really dumb idea if that is true. I miss the old old days with more reliable cars and parts. o_O:confused:

17. Northern Dancer

Car problems don't happen often but when they do they can be catastrophic. I've had my share.

18. Northern Dancer

...and speaking of winter BUT more especially SUMMER...I mentioned that I lived in Thunder Bay for awhile so I got to thinking, "I'm going to Thunder Bay."I'm now booked for a trip to the land of the Sleeping Giant, as it is called, in June. I'm planning to camp along Lake Superior until I get to a Provincial park just outside Thunder Bay. The overall trip should be about 12 days. Thunder Bay is about a 1,000 miles away from my part of the forest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoiNVOQwc1TXZPRXhq3SMahKfwPQWCnM84D3JdcklAZYLk56LxQQ.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhVBS4Ub6PAAbctW0kWhOIjtzg0xTNOTJupT-Wp2SGDgyFtFi1.jpg

19. 2sweed

Lets see all I need is a passport and hitch a ride with my backpack to Minnesota, and I could walk up and meet you. Might take me a month to get there and I would arrive after you had gone home. **** Not going to happen! But it would be quite a adventure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_f9PK0dv4L6OsW8JxON8K4MJaZSPScb6OyGjXmTGf3T--5R_G.jpg

20. Northern Dancer

Both the United States and Canada have astounding places to visit, camp and canoe. We have a whole wilderness adventure at our doorstep. Our campgrounds are the very best in the world.

I was reading about stealth camping in England. Never knew what that was - it means illegal camping. That would never occur to me as we have such an abundance of possibilities.

We are more than just lucky...we are truly blessed. (Even atheists could agree on that one.)

2sweed likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted