1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Thanks for the update. Yes, to okay here. things are improving as I get more daytime help with mom. I need to have cataract surgery soon and so am lining up help. Guess movement is restricted for first week so I will be a couch potato waiting for eye to heal. Boring it will be. so round the clock help is needed.
    Sounds like your camping event was a busy one. I am glad you stayed warm in this bitter cold. We got lots of snow and most streets were one lane traffic and slippery. It is nasy cold tonight as well. :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm glad things are improving even just a bit. People really have no idea the stress others go through taking care of loved ones at home. In fact individuals don't always have a fair assessment of their own needs either. The weather is unusually cold here as well. I thought about the people who sleep out on the streets while I was camping. For me it was a fun recreation time but for them it is life and death. Funny how life is.

Anyway....saw these in a store this afternoon. Hope they brighten your winter day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFRKidKswNCh1OvaHyUoVCKwLl78k-q3EW7RGq1G5boah0FSAK.jpg
    Put them on the kitchen table; near the window you look out on to the snow fill backyard. :)

3. 2sweed

Thank you for the beautiful flowers, they brightened an otherwise lonely day. I hope you will add some humor on my imaginary journey. :happy:

4. Northern Dancer

I will be doing that too....

5. 2sweed

Well how is the weather in your neck of the woods. It is cold, very cold here and thick ice is built up around edges of our roofs and now it is snowing again. Our plumbing problem is far from fixed and I am getting weary of all the extra hauling and lifting. But I heard you say Spring is coming so I will hold that lovely thought in my head.

6. Northern Dancer

We have had an extraordinary winter this year. Last year we spoke of the deer population being decimated by the harsh winter and this year is looks a whole lot worse. Do you remember last summer being cold and wet? I'm waiting with bated breathe to see what happens this season.

I'm sorry to hear about the plumbing problem - it can be really miserable. Years ago I lived in a house that had one of those sump pump systems. The power went off and we all took turns bailing for two days. I had visions of the water engulfing us all while were asleep. Glad that I'm out of that mess.

Spring will come - it comes every year - sooner the better. BUT - gradually enough for the run off to be sufficiently gentle.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5uJGQFfcHRfCUirwdJ_TWn9zfLz53FP09f4o3ueWYGX_HEwJu.jpg But in the meantime we do what we can to keep cheery :joyful:

7. 2sweed

Please keep cheery for me as well, as I am really getting tired of this old house. Things never repaired for 40 years are now falling apart under my watch. I hope I have the strength to put up with it all. My eye surgery is on the tenth of march and my extra caregivers are going to hate the new arrangements. Certainly not a wonderful experience even if it is short term for them.
    I like the warmth of your fireplace. :happy:

8. Northern Dancer

:(

WOW! Talk about having a plate full.
    Unfortunately there is nothing there that seems to be appetizing or enjoyable. I was grumbling because I had to replace my washer and dyer last week. A real bummer because I hadn't budgeted for that. They both went on the same day - probably because I purchased them at the same time last time around.

9. 2sweed

Well we are making the best of things and taking it one day at a time. In the meantime I did some baking today. Blueberry cobbler and a pumpkin pie. So even if life is the pits with this old house falling apart, we will still have dessert Does this look good to you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFWOMvAP5cWFdABvbK1jlLTzrewlCVzqZvC7ElaoHY17NvyK5e.jpg upload_2015-3-3_19-48-37.jpeg

10. Northern Dancer

:)

Are you kidding? My mouth is watering as I look at the pictures. I've made peach and cherry cobbler in the Dutch oven. I never have any trouble having the group eat it up - right down to the last peach or cheery.

11. 2sweed

Today I braved the cold and drove off for things to fill my pantry and found the market parking lots were ice skating rings. They had sprinkled gravel about but walking was tricky and pushing carts an uphill climb. Luckily for me my car is all wheel drive and operates very well on icy roads and snowy conditions. At one market i was speaking to a man about the weather and as we were leaving the store he offered to help carry my groceries so I would not have to push the cart. He said I got to much stuff and I replied I came in for two things. lol Nice to find helpful folk still exist out there.
    We are praying warmer weather will come in soon and melt away all our problems.
    How is the weather conditions in your area? Did you get the icy rain as well? Enjoying Reese's little comments on your posts. :)

12. Northern Dancer

Pretty much the same. I was reading an article about the number of broken water mains in the Region. A colleague was mentioning to me that he has frozen pipes. "The house is only two years old," he said. "I never would have believed it."

The moon is so bright this evening as it shines across the frozen snow. Spring is two weeks away and everyone is waiting patiently. Now our fear is that if everything melts to quickly there will be flooding. I live close to the Grand River. Yes...I have canoed the Grand.

:bear: Thank you - not everyone listens to me.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQui6zemvaaH58Ut_hdK23Wr1UQx4MatJjO75Ky0X2dniRsOCQz.jpg This is a view of the river going through the centre of town.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4s3DYK1GNT0lluL74be4x7_LSxHHgYxDpSQrIrrqJ3WjUYMEZ.jpg This is the view a few minutes from my home.

13. 2sweed

Update, my pipes are unfrozen and my eye is mostly healed up, or at least I can touch my face with out pain. that I am told is a good sign that healing is taking place. The snow is slowly melting and I am getting Spring fever wanting to be out walking in the woods and knowing I am limited by my task at hand. Anyways, wanted to let you know I am enjoying your new topic's of discussion, but do miss our exchanges in passing. :playful::)

14. Northern Dancer

It's good to see you [no pun intended] on line. It's been a miserable winter for a lot of folks this year. I'm surely panting to get out on the lakes and trails. I suppose that is why I'm posting canoe camp readiness - it just keeps the fire burning. I'm a little more busy than I want to be at this time but it just motivates me to drive on. I'm glad you are doing better - "may the sun tiptoe into the house and banish the gloom from all the rooms and make you smile."

15. 2sweed

On cloudy cold snowy days like today, my answer to your sight warming comment is just like the songs of old have said,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs-VbvDteqEqr-lvWmctBrRjvQo4SwZsu1DrB0hBWl5rI3DQluTw.jpg

16. Northern Dancer

Good for you - as I say to students,

don't give in
    don't give up
    don't surrender
    don't retreat
    win!

17. 2sweed

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Ov2mjHEVzsT_LeDkLZgNryjwj87QFfmP2UIwkf5a7VkfjWTL.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl6dsOCgUVwtpKMVkCsqFp05KPNJIDAExnwknBiaOfNKZ3Ty2tLg.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRygCeRcslh3t74yMP_ZD8BR_ftKeACKobdC_e3RMWXCJmKqDtB.jpg
    Just for Reese. :rolleyes::cool::)

18. Northern Dancer

19. 2sweed

So when are you going camping again? Every weekend is open for adventure and I bet your dreaming about camping every night. :rolleyes::cool::happy:

20. Northern Dancer

@2sweed - Lots of things on my plate this summer but the first trip is scheduled for June 22nd [16 days] in Algonquin Park. It will be a combination of canoeing and camping. I had planned to be in Thunder Bay but there have been some changes in my work schedule that keeps me closer to home.

Always glad to see you on line and I hope that there is opportunity for you to embrace summer too.

Draft saved Draft deleted