1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

All this week our area is focused on remembering the tornado that ripped through our area on May 31st, 1985. Lots of pictures and stories on where people were that day. Do you remember that day, when one of these same tornado's hit Barrie, Ont., and was that anywhere near where you live?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm about three hours from Barrie. In the summer of 2013 we had a ferocious storm hit our area. I think I mentioned it - it cost a few bucks to clear the downed trees. The power and telephone line had to be replaced.

I had a storm hit base camp once - the warning came over my radio and I vacated the area and headed for safer territory. I was unscathed but there was considerable damage in the area.

It seems to me that the storms are become more violent and in our region nonexistent situations heretofore are now very much present.

3. Northern Dancer

Interesting thought - I just got home a short time ago from celebrating a colleague who has been transferred to South America for three months. He said that, "It will be like camping." Some camping! No power lines, et cetera, et cetera. He will be in the Amazonian wilderness. He has three weeks to learn Portuguese.

4. 2sweed

So I guess the question is where were you on May 31st, 1985, when the storm hit Barrie?

I was living about forty-five miles away on my uncles farm. My Aunt and I, tried to go to the town my folks lived in but could not get through. It was several days before I got word, they and our house were okay and had suffered no damage.

5. 2sweed

poems.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

Very true. We call it "up north" but in reality it really isn't that far. True North, as one can appreciate, is really "Up North". I liked the words - because they are true.

7. 2sweed

I just visited your profile and up in the corner of the page it said, "Northern Dancer is following you." Humm...... what an interesting idea, are you stalking me? Well see if you can.....

find me sign.jpg lol :cool::happy::rolleyes:

8. Northern Dancer

...no need to stalk. :) Erik has a device that alerts us to all who are online - but I think that you already know that. Actually I'm not really sure why that is necessary because you can see it on the screen anyway. But it's true - you do look for people of kindred spirit.

9. 2sweed

There I go again using my humor to alert folks about the "who is following you" which of course is like my Facebook list of friends. But @Dancer, I thought you would smile at my comment. Gosh....................I know your not actually following me, cause your knowledge of stuff, is way beyond my scope of things in the camping mode. lol

10. Northern Dancer

:) That's okay!

The reality is that in some jurisdictions it is a sensitive matter and I certainly don't want to cause anxious feelings. The complication about these methods of communication is that you can't see the person - you don't hear a voice or look at a face to judge reaction.

I do enjoy being here and I really enjoy your posts as I'm sure others do. You have a skill to get things started and get people involved. You pick great subject matter and it's all within the purpose and goal of Camping Babble. :)

2sweed likes this.
  11. 2sweed

How soon are you going camping? The weather is warming up down here this week. I am planning a short hiking trip along the Clarion River before the snakes are out in full force. Hopefully April, will be just the right temp. without any snow. So what's your plans?

12. Northern Dancer

Hi -

....we are lucky here - their are only two poisonous snakes in this country and none where I venture.

The days are getting longer and the birds have changed their chirping and our weather patterns are definitely getting warmer. There are spring shows, camping shows, RV shows, and flower shows everywhere - yep spring/summer is on the way.

Confirmed trips so far this year - Mother's Day at Dorchester, Canoe Trip on June 20th, Algonquin Park for three weeks in early July, one canoe trip early August and Camp Wendake at the end of August. That's about it at the moment. :)

I hope you are able to get away - I remember that you purchased a tent awhile back. It's a terrible thing not to use a tent that's hankering to get outside.

...I'm still looking for a dog.

13. jc banks

jc banks Novice Camper

My names jc banks, no jcs not short for anything, I get asked all the time. I am 47, a widow after 32 years of marriage. I own a small shop where I sell homemade items. I like to write so thought I would try my hand at it and hope make some money doing it some day as well. I lived in a cabin off grid for 25 years and love to camp.

14. Northern Dancer

Welcome @jc banks to Camping Babble. Sounds like you have some camp/cabin experience that others would like to learn more about. You have some interesting hobbies too that sound interesting. You might want to share a bit more on the Introductions thread. Welcome again - I hope you enjoy your experience with the site as much as I have.

15. jc banks

jc banks Novice Camper

Thank you

I am finding this site to be fun and informative, as some one who lived in the woods for a very long time off grid, I find I still learn new stuff all the time, before my husband passed I think we spent as much time outdoors as in, and loved every minuet of it. Living that way I learned to can and put food up, as well as to tell if some thing growing wild was able to be eaten or not.

We learned to use tree’s for shelter and how to build a small fire inside one to keep warm, he believed to many people didn’t know how to survive if the got lost in the woods the kids and I got taught how so we could be found if lost.

16. Northern Dancer

...it all sounds fascinating and great fun. My endeavours are principally canoe/camping at which time I use a multitude of skills and experiences. Trips are planned for the summer months. The first of April I'll be away for a weekend jaunt with our Scouting group - sort of kicks off the summer for me.

17. Northern Dancer

Camp Time is Good Time
    and though it seems to disappear so quickly
    memories of good people and good times
    never fade.
    Camping Babble re-enforces those times
    of enjoyment and encourages us
    to play the outdoor game!

18. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I couldn't agree more ND. 7 more days for me and I'll be camping on an island cooking fresh fish over an open fire. Oh the anticipation.

19. Northern Dancer

IMG_1107.jpg

"Do-in what I like do-in"

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  20. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Love the set up, inside that tent looked fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted