1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Sounds like your activities keep you pretty busy doing the things you love, camping and sharing that experience and knowledge with others. Sounds like a great way to be able to spend ones life and I am sure Reese, is very happy being a part of the adventures as well. :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Thank you - and I am very busy. My outdoor expression is just about the only thing that I get to do on any regular basis. Some days I pant for the summer time.

3. 2sweed

Have you ever done any you tube video's about your camping with Scouts or when taking hikes in the forest areas and trails?

4. Northern Dancer

Hi again:

Last summer was my first attempt to video a trip - but I have to admit that it was really done badly. I've been looking at the net with the hopes that I will improve significantly this year. I learned a lot from my mistakes - especially about panning and script writing. I do have a lot of photos though. Here are a couple...

2yw7ib6.jpg

I'm coming toward our camp site on Red Pine Lake [Haliburton Water Way Trails]

oj2q7a.jpg

This is the crew coming through a shallow stream.

I mentioned in one of the threads to look for, Three Minutes and Forty Seconds... [In Canoe Country].

I sure hope that it turns out - the script is prepared and the initial work is completed. I'm hoping to post that in August.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What camera did you use for those pictures? The second one especially seems to have the sort of look of an old picture the way the contrast and hues look although that could just be my imagination.

6. Northern Dancer

The second picture was taken by an older camera the year before and it had a wide lens option. The first picture is with that camera that I won while attending a camping show. Simple - but very effective.

7. 2sweed

Nice pictures. You might want to consider a slide show with written in text to start. But try not to use music with in background, nothing is more annoying then listening to music and not being able to hear natures own sound effects. I enjoy video's with instruction in them as well. Just my thoughts thou.....:)

8. Northern Dancer

Isn't that true? That was one of the mistakes that I made. Even I couldn't manage listening to the accompanying sound. I do plan to have slide show produced for August - man...that seems so far away.

9. 2sweed

Good idea! It seems I am chasing you or you are chasing me, as we answer posts around the forum tonight. I should be getting ready for bed, but this is kind of fun. Kind of like instant messaging. lol :)

10. Northern Dancer

That's true...you're right - I've got a busy day tomorrow - see you.

11. 2sweed

The areas that you canoe on, do you have rapids or is the water area relatively calm?

12. Northern Dancer

My colleagues and I map out areas with the least number of portages and for the most part we canoe on flat water. In some instances we hit ripple water but we don't have the canoe design [or sufficient experience] to hit white water.

I'm going to see if I can download a page from our menu plan - here it goes.

:dead: Well...that seemed to be an egg that hit the rock. I hope it gives you some clue as to our menu plan without giving you a kink in the neck - this is just the one page.

2wf8qy9.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  13. 2sweed

I think I am going to try and copy some of the recipes. I was surprised there were not more wacky recipes like elephant stew or dead creature delight (no road-kill in the forests), or some of those things they eat on the surviver shows like raw fish or worms, slugs or bugs. Not that those recipes would be as titled, but the cook of the day might have an eye-opening experience if he was handed such a menu. Your only worry would be if he thought you were serious. :dead::depressed::eek:

14. Northern Dancer

I'm with you....I don't like the creepy stuff and I'm definitely not interested in having dyes in my food either [or anything else that is peculiar]. I'm the author and I do have some memories posted here and there of things that happened in the past to perk the pages. Some recipe details are left out - because they have been used many times before and are not necessary. In other instances they are simply reminders.

You can have more pages if you want to.

15. 2sweed

Yes, share more if you like either here or message me. Do you use much freeze-dried food? And I was wondering are wild animals able to smell out the freeze-dried foods as well they do the fresh stuff?

16. Northern Dancer

I don't use a lot of freeze dried food I try to make up my own recipes with what is at hand. A lot cheaper too. I do use MRE meals. They are a complete and total meal for nine dollars. [Made in the USA] They have everything - the main meal, some sort of vegetable, bread, desert, coffee, tea, jams, sugar, creamer, eating utensils, napkins - the whole works in a bag etc. I believe the shelf life is ten years. The pouch becomes the heating unit. Add water, slip the main meal back into the sleeve and you have a hot meal in about five minutes. I don't take a lot of these but I do have them. It the weather is really bad they are so easy to use.

As soon as the package is open or when you cook the same the animals can smell it. There are products on the market that disolve ordours.

Here is another page from the Menu -

1e9xee.jpg

17. 2sweed

Does Canada, still have the Royal Mounties patrolling the outer reaches of Canada? Used to hear about them when I was young, mostly on TV, in shows about Canada. Of course I am sure they use more than horses these days. :)

18. Northern Dancer

Unlike the United States we have only one criminal code and three police forces - municipal or regional - they wear the red headbands on their uniform caps. Provincial Police [Only in Ontario and Quebec] they wear blue bands. Then we have the Federal Police Force the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that have jurisdiction in the nation; they can go anywhere and investigate anyone including the Prime Minister and members of Cabinet. They were the third police force to be organized in the world in 1873 as the North West Mounted Police. The became Royal in 1920. They use every modern device and pieces of equipment that is available today. The Police College in Regina.

19. 2sweed

In the areas you set up your base camp do you haul it all in on foot or is the base camp close to where you park your car? Reason I am asking as lots of your recipes use canned goods and they can get quite heavy if your packing them in very far. Just curious.

20. Northern Dancer

Base camp is accessible by car and therefore we/ I am able to be more luxurious. When we are tripping into Algonquin and the Haliburton Waterways we do not take cans or glass as they are prohibited. [Fines are really hefty if you get caught.] We make up our own recipes and pack them accordingly for the trip. Some of my colleagues will go fishing on occasion and we will fry the same for supper.

Draft saved Draft deleted