1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Yummy, fried fish. Thanks for your reply. By the way are there any poisonous snakes in this area where you camp and also where you live? I have added a few posts about poisonous snakes, but nothing about Canada.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Where I camp and where I live there are not reported poisonous snakes. BUT...I'm about to post a thread on the Giant Hog Weed that is causing some problems along the Grand River - where I live.

3. 2sweed

Sounds interesting.
    But isn't the artificial sweetner in the river another big problem as well. I remember a time when we were told to just dump left-over medications in the toilet. Now our rivers are polluted with a mixture of all kinds of medications. But to think that artificial sweetner could do that as well. Well that is news to me and I am sure lots of others as well.

4. Northern Dancer

The reality is that human kind have just about wrecked everything. We are well versed and experienced in the art of destruction.

5. 2sweed

A lot of the trouble is we are all trained to believe what we are told and not think and reason with our own minds. It never even dawns on most people the simple things that we do can cause such wide destruction, but then again it is something that takes the actions of many people not just one. Like recycling instead of dumping everything in the landfills. O'well, live and learn, then try to do better. But sometimes we are much too late in changing bad habits. :eek::banghead:

6. Northern Dancer

It seems to be so...that is why I'm making attempts to use other ideas when I'm out. I was into no trace camping years ago long before someone came up with the idea. I never did buy into the practise of washing in the river or even doing my dishes for that matter.

7. 2sweed

I agree completely with carrying out what you carry in. It is always sad to find trash on the trails and at camp sites. :(

Have you ever had any serious accidents happen when your out, or with your group on the river areas or hiking?

By the way, I looked up the Haliburton Forest Wildlife Reserve, and it looks like what they call the base camp is all in one area. Is that the way it is set up for you or is your base camp out in the woods away from the main area?

8. Northern Dancer

We have been fortunate in that we have had very few accidents. The reason for that, I think, is that most of us are trained in first aid. On all our canoe trips there is a Trip Leader [commander], a Safety Officer [whose word is law], and often a chaplain. When I go with the Venturers we have an all day workshop - so everyone knows the rules and receive different kinds of training as needed.

The Base Camp at the Forest, as it is called is a multi-purpose centre for all kinds of things. When I'm/we are there I/we go into the interior some distance from the centre to set our own.

The Haliburton Forest has an extensive wolf research centre, several programs including a children's camp and one of only two sky walks in Canada. It is open all year around and in the winter there are winter camps, dog sledding and other winter programs.

9. 2sweed

The dog sledding sounds interesting, not sure I myself could do it, but watching a team in action would be worthwhile. Have you ever done it yourself, run a team of dogs?
    One of my favorite books is written by a man who loved dogs and trained huskies and mixed breeds, to run the Iditarod, in Alaska. He ran many times before his health forced him to retire from the sport.
    The book is humorous beyond belief and every time I read it I laugh so hard in places of the book, tears run down my face. I often wonder how he lived through both the training and the races.
    The book is Winterdance by Gary Paulsen.

10. Northern Dancer

I've never run a team of dogs - I understand that it is a particular skill and it is one that I don't have. There is the Great Yukon [Territory] race that occurs every year. It takes days to complete. Somehow, as much as I like a bit of winter camping, the idea of being out in that situation leaves me cold.

11. 2sweed

I don't think I could stand it either, but one has to think of the bravery and courage, it takes to even have the nerve to attempt those races. Have read stories of those who have endured frost bite and terrible falls of cliffs and moose attacks, just to run those races. But I would not even want to try such activities in my old age. Better left to the experts and the young and foolish.

Seems like a interesting area both in summer and winter. Thanks for sharing this info, i enjoyed looking over the website.

12. Northern Dancer

Glad you did...I've been frequenting the place for five years now.

13. 2sweed

What times of the year are best for camping there, meaning do you have trouble with those black flies, like other parts of the north woods do?

14. Northern Dancer

Traditionally black fly season comes in May and can last until the second week in June. I still go out. I have a screened kitchen shelter and wear appropriate clothing. It is a great time to see moose like the one below.

200z482.jpg

This guy was close to the road in Algonquin when I took his picture. I had a moose come through my camp once. I was really surprised how quiet he was. I tried getting just a bit closer but he gave me the signal to back off.

Though I don't like the bugs I have found that it is a great time to see wild life especially deer and moose.

Come the end of June the summers are fabulous all the way into October.

15. 2sweed

You take really nice photo's. Sounds wonderful, but alas, i am a full time caregiver for my mother and my life and freedom, to go and do fun things is very limited right now.
    But I can read all about this great camping spot and maybe someday I will get to see it. How soon do you usually get your troop groups started? Do you do a lot of hiking or just paddling down the river and camping at different locations along the way?

16. Northern Dancer

When we are tripping we don't do a lot of hiking. If we are at a base camp we usually explore the immediate terrain. The group usually has a seven day canoe trip in the first week of August. The group is under another leader and I'm invited to come along and share what skills I have.

Taking care of a parent can be really tough - but someday I believe that you will be rewarded.

17. 2sweed

I have a lot of really hard days between mom not knowing me or just being mad, to her asking for her sister or mother, who both died years ago. But the good days are when she is in a good mood and knows me, and is willing to enjoy time away from the house. We then go to the library or for a car ride or out to lunch. It is hard now but as time goes on it will be a lot worse. However, I take it as one day at a time, and enjoy the moments I have with her.

By the way I checked out the Haliburton Forest Wildlife Reserve, Facebook page. All those wolf pictures are beautiful.

18. Northern Dancer

A couple of years ago I was able to see the whole pack. The have an excellent wolf museum and you walk out onto an enclosed porch with a one way mirrors. On occasion the wolves will come closer. I lucked out that day. Two winters ago vandals cut an opening in the protective fence and the male wolves including the alpha male got away.

Not to be to inquisitive, it sounds like your Mom has dementia or Alzheimer's?

19. 2sweed

She has dementia, but may be Alzheimer's as well. the doctors lump everything together these days. It is the switching back and forth that is the hardest, fine one minute and 5 minutes later totally confused. I don't mind you asking.

20. Northern Dancer

I have limited experience in this area but enough to have great empathy for those who have to face such circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted