1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

It is harder than you might think as the parent acts like a child and I, must be able to control what goes on with lots of patience and kindness, even when I am really not happy. It is fun some days and a total nightmare other days as she switches back and forth from normal to unreasonable. But each day I do my best.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I can appreciate the circumstance. For me of course, the escape is the wilderness or as wild as I can get to.

3. 2sweed

I would love to chuck it all some days and run off to the wilderness too, but I am needed here. My great adventures these days are the things I find from my childhood and young adult years, that have been packed away for a very long time. Things like report cards and drawings, HS diploma and dolls. In cleaning her house we are finding ordinary treasures and many old memories.

4. Northern Dancer

It can be fun to look back - if there have been happy memories.

Its unfortunate that you don't have Visiting Homemakers or some such group to assist you. In our Province the cost of specialized care is through the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. You are truly brave in what you do - the disappointments can be so hurtful.

On some occasions - when life is particularly hectic I bury myself in good books or read one of the many journals I have of trips taken in the past. There is comfort there and it keeps me close to things that are important to me.

5. 2sweed

We have such things and the time is rapidly approaching when I will need that help. As it is now a friend stays with her when I need to shop or run errands. Had lots of bad memories, but as I said I am needed and I love her. Got to let the past go sometimes and move on.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  6. 2sweed

Have you done any camping in other areas of Canada? We camped when I was younger in upper New York State, and somewhere close to the Canadian border. But most of my camping since that time has been pretty much local or with 50 miles of home.
    I hope you continue our conversation here.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  7. 2sweed

Out of respect for dying conversations I am going to put this puppy to bed and look elsewhere's in the forum.

doggy.jpg

8. Northern Dancer

My current stomping grounds are about five and half hours from my home. I have camped in Prince Edward Island [our far Eastern Province] and the Thunder Bay District [Northwestern Ontario], Manitoba, and Calumet, which would be near Bradford, Pennsylvania.

9. Northern Dancer

Love the picture...I've had puppies in the past...they kinda melt the heart.

10. 2sweed

Sounds like your were not to far from some of my old stomping grounds when at Calumet. As for puppies I love them dearly, but I am still recovering the the loss of my last dog and so have been holding off from getting another puppy. The above puppy was so dear I had to use his picture. :)

11. Northern Dancer

I've lost dogs over the years - it's like loosing a family member in many ways. I've always had a puppy to assure that he would be trained the way I wanted. I adopted Reese from one of our shelters the first time I ever did that.

12. 2sweed

Well, from the sounds of things you picked a pretty good companion, and one that enjoys camping as much as you do. I found my last dog out along a road where someone had tossed him away. He was very sick do to lack of food and care, but with proper love and attention he became my best friend and lived for over 10 years. But he died before I left Florida, to come home. I will try to find a picture of him to put up.

13. Northern Dancer

Glad you found it. A lot of pets are killed by being abandoned. That is why I decided to rescue a dog rather than purchase from a breeder. And I have to admit that I didn't want to go through the toil training routine again. Reese has be great and I know that I have been fortunate.

14. 2sweed

It would be nice if you could get some of your camping buddies to join the forum. Then maybe we could really get the forum rolling with great stories and adventures. I have tried asking my friends, but everyone is to busy. I think it is fun to share a bit of humor and nature, camping lore and knowledge, as well as, making new friends along the way. :)

15. Northern Dancer

Good idea...I hadn't thought about that. We have over two hundred members, most I haven't heard from or seen. I do send a word of greeting when I see a new name and I have attempted to contact a few to no avail.

16. 2sweed

It is really hard to get new members to really join in and offer their opinions and camping experience and stories, long term. I wish more would take the plunge and get this forum buzzing with activity. If you know of a few members that enjoy long-winded story telling and friendly humor, invite them to join in. The more the merrier. It would be fun.

17. Northern Dancer

It might be a bit intimidating to some. I know that this is my first effort. I really haven't liked a lot of what I have seen on other nets. I noticed that there were several 40 year old types that have joined - I would expect some serious experience exists among those good folks. It would be great to hear from them.

18. 2sweed

Actually, unlike most forums this one is like joining in on the ground-breaking. Taking part in a forum that is still growing is great because your questions and comments get personal attention and it gives you a chance to build good friendships and solid backing of other like-mined members. In bigger forums it is possible to post and have no one read it or no one respond at all. And try joining into a conversation in bigger sites, it is like being invisible or more often, then not told you know nothing. So if I had to choose a big over-flowing forum or a smaller one that is growing, I would go smaller. One day we may be big, but we who talk now will be friends then in the future.

Of course that is just my opinion. o_O :happy:

19. Northern Dancer

You are probably right. This is my first experience. I tend not get involved in these things.

20. 2sweed

I hope you will not get bored and run away. Of course I will miss your conversations when your off camping this summer and enjoying the great outdoors. But, there is always time to visit when you get back home again, tired but filled with adventure and misshapes. lol :)

Draft saved Draft deleted