1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm like a little kid - I can't wait to get started. The first get away is scheduled for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of May, The first and second week end of June is booked and then I get really serious starting Monday June 23rd when I will be away for five weeks. There is stuff booked in August too.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Well, I will miss your wonderful insightful conversation, but I will be content to wait. Now is not the time for me to abandon my care-giving duties and run off into the wilds of the north to visit the campground and see the wolves you mentioned, website visits will do. I think I will be at this place for quite a long time to come. But I hope to join my friends on the weekends and leave my duties to other family members over a couple of nights, to use my new tent. :) :)

3. Northern Dancer

I'm glad to hear that - nothing worse than a frustrated camper. I can recall when a weekend was really great because that was all I could afford both in time and cost.

4. 2sweed

A bunch of my friends get together every summer and rent a spot with a big parvilion with a fireplace in it for a three day weekend. It is fun just driving out and spending the day with them, but now maybe I can take my tent and join in for at least one night or two. I think you have the best of both worlds, though being able to pick up and go for extended camping trips. Someday...before I get too old maybe I will be so lucky to do the same. :)

5. Northern Dancer

I hope so too because I can appreciate that you have that outdoor spirit that fosters a desire to be with nature and all that it affords. And yes, I am richly blessed and know that. That is part of the reason I volunteer and provide some expertise to Camp Wendake in August. I refer to my involvement as, "Camping with a purpose."

6. 2sweed

That is a very worthwhile cause to help provide good quality fun and entertainment, for those with a possible terminal illness. I am sure it is rewarding to you, to be able to share your camping and outdoor ways with them. :)

7. Northern Dancer

Camp Wendake [on line] is the only HIV/AIDS camp of its kind in Canada.

8. 2sweed

Did I mention the wrong camp? Because yes, I did find it online.

9. Northern Dancer

I couldn't remember if I had told you about the camp or not. It's a week long and the entire staff, including the nurses and doctor are volunteers. There are no salaries paid. It's a good work and we have manged to provide some solid care for many. Unfortunately it is only a week.

10. 2sweed

This is a good thing that you are doing in volunteering your time. You had mentioned the Camp Wendake, in a post and so I did a web search. Not many people will go out of their way for such a good cause. :cool::cool:

11. Northern Dancer

Thanks. Some of my friends are not terribly supportive because of the clientele that we serve. Some are hesitant and uncomfortable because of the HIV/AIDS issue and think that I should offer my services at some other camp.

12. 2sweed

I am sure they are worried about your health as well, but I am sure you have very special guidelines to follow to prevent the spread of the disease. And since you have done it often you are most certainly aware of the limits and dangers, in helping at such a camp. It is understandable their concerns, but you must follow your heart in picking the areas you wish to volunteer and offer your knowledge and experience. :)

13. Northern Dancer

Interesting...why can't they see that? Actually the safe guards are hefty and unless one does something really silly there really isn't any danger.

14. 2sweed

Fear, thou often silly at times can make people hardened to helping others for fear of something that with proper management poses no danger to anyone. We all have fears of something but some we can overcome and others are very difficult to allow change of thought to happen. But in time may be one day they will understand and respect you for it. :)

15. Northern Dancer

Possibly...but I haven't really concerned myself about it.

16. 2sweed

That shows your of strong character and determined in your ways to help others regardless of the opinions of others. That is a good thing to be in a world that often clings closer to caring only for ones own self with little regard for others. A pat on the back for a job well done. :happy:

17. Northern Dancer

Thank you! This has been a great day - more blessings than I would expect.

18. 2sweed

So, how soon before your off on your first camping adventure? Where will you go and will it be a long trip?

19. Northern Dancer

I'm with Scouts Canada the weekend of May 2nd and then I'm with another group on June 6th and then I'm at Camp Wendake as a Trainer on June 13th. The Scout groups are a collection of various groups that meet at one of the established sites - one is at Camp Everton and the other is at Camp Impessa.

20. 2sweed

I hope your getting packed and ready to go, for May is just around the corner and you would not to forget anything in your excitement of wanting to camp. Is it warming up in Canada, yet? Our weather is slowing improving no more snow so far. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted