1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

My list is typed out and I am ready. [I've been ready for months!] Our spring is about two weeks behind this year. It's been a tough winter here too. The Ministry of Natural Resources has determined that we have lost about half of our deer population. Which means of course that in two years time we will have a significant increase in the moose population.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Do you have grizzly bears in the areas you camp at or are they more in the western parts of Canada? Maybe those that are left will have more fawns and if next winter is milder they might have a chance to bounce back by the third year.

3. Northern Dancer

Grizzly bears are mostly in the western parts of Canada as you identified. The camps sites that I will be going to on this occasion are not far from the urban area and are - what they call - organized. I have trouble saying...organized. I'm into free spiriting camping as you know. So they have the showers etc but do sleep in various tents under the care of leaders, I'm privileged because I bring my own equipment and share my tent arrangements with myself.

4. 2sweed

I say are you ready?, with a hidden smile on my face, because I know now by talking with you that you have been very much ready to leave on a moments notice and know doubt just itching to get out the door. :) :) Another few days and off you go and we will all be missing your pleasing conversation and quick witted humor. :happy::(

5. Northern Dancer

I'm planning to come back, hopefully with a story or two.

6. 2sweed

You better share those stories of your great adventures, and let us know what we are a missing.....:) If I get to go camping I am sure there will be lots of funny stories of first time mistakes of an out of practice camper. o_O:rolleyes:

7. Northern Dancer

You will do fine. I'm gonna tell yah - soon as I get to a certain point in my travel north the stress and the anxieties just seem to fade away. I hope that is exactly what happens to you and you enjoy every bit of time away. You may think you are an "out of practice camper" - but it all comes back. Reading the material that you have posted suggests that you never lost it. You just had to put it on the shelve for awhile - like a good book. The time will come when you can take it off the shelve and get right back into it. And that will be a happy day.

8. 2sweed

"Thank You," Of course my funny stories will be of first time setting up a new tent and getting down on my knees to do something and needing help to get up. The cooking part will be fun with no problems and sleeping in the forest will be blissfully wonderful. I will camp like you to save on this old body and hopefully it will be warm with no rain. Even if nothing happens I can tell a good story or two. Sure to be at least one of our group that has something to write about. Last year it was the bear ripping up their truck for food. This year who knows what might happen. :)

9. Northern Dancer

Good for you! When we go tripping it is our practice to keep a journal so we don't forget the funny things that people did. We use to have the Moose Award for the first person who did something really silly. Like accidentally tip a canoe or something else that was funny.
    I've kept the journals and sometimes when a winter night is really bitter I take them off the shelf and read them. It is like being there again.

10. 2sweed

That would be fun reading the journals and getting to relive the funny things over again. So now I will need to take notes and maybe pictures of things that happen. Like...

tent setup.jpg and then the midnight romp with a bear.... tent setup.jpg bears chase.jpg .

11. Northern Dancer

That's funny. It reminded me once when I was winter camping. I was really tired and for whatever reason I didn't peg the tent to the snowy ground. I just walked in and tried to put up the centre poles. It didn't work of course. In my frustration I came outside to peg the tent like I shouldn't have done in the first place only to confronted by the group clapping [for my idiocy]. "Why are you guys clapping," I said. One guy said, "Because it's the best entertainment we've seen."

12. 2sweed

That is the true sign of a man who enjoys camping, someone who can make jokes and laugh when telling others about a camping pro goof. When things happen it is so easy to be beating ourselves up over dumb mistakes, but then quickly seeing the humor in it and making a fast recovery. Plus, providing free entertainment for others. :banghead::happy::happy:

13. Northern Dancer

True...and that's what it is all about. Certainly a different environment and the humour is usually good and rich and wholesome.

14. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I keep a journal myself, not just for camping but for everything. I think it is a good way to make sure you don't lose any important thoughts. Plus sometimes I just like writing what I'm thinking since it helps to go into more detail and formalize your thoughts.

15. Northern Dancer

I feel the same. Sometimes...when things are a bit tough I will journal. It helps me sort things out and release emotions and feelings that I'm not ready to share with others. But most times I use it for preserving good memories with good friends and good times.

16. 2sweed

Missed chatting with you lately, now soon you will be leaving for the scout trip. Have you ever had to set up your tent on a rainy cold day? I hope the weather improves for your week so you all have a great time.

17. Northern Dancer

I get the whole weekend off starting at noon Friday and Monday is my usual day off. I sure hope that the weather will change too; it sure has been miserable in this neck of the woods. Yes, I've set up in the rain more than I would like to recall. The good thing about the Alaknak it stays dry even when it is on the ground. Then when I put in the centre pole it just makes it all that better. Of course I get wet but I change soon as everything is in place.

There is no running water this weekend so I take my wash stand and signal burner stove to heat the water for wash up. The meals will be cooked in a cabin so I don't have to do any meal preparation. Looking at the program I'm not doing a lot anyway. But I'm there as a care person.

18. 2sweed

I hope your weather is better than ours, its cold and rainy and dripping wet. At least that has slowed down the wildfires we have had lately. There were three last week. Don't know if is people or accident started or someone doing it on purpose. Lots of dry leaves in the woods. :arghh::eek:

19. Northern Dancer

It doesn't take long to enter the fire season - we will have a lot more this summer. They are predicting a hot one.

20. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It is horrifying to think that someone would want to start a forest fire on purpose. That being said, a lot of people don't know how how easy it can be to start unwanted fires and aren't cautious enough when it comes to properly extinguishing embers or making a fire pit.

Draft saved Draft deleted