1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Often times it is people burning leaves on windy days or young kids who think it is funny, not thinking ahead to the danger it poses. Sometimes it turns out to be someone on the volunteer fire department crew that loves fighting fires. There was a guy in Florida, that went around starting fires, just so he could fight them. He went to jail for a few years over that one. Many times it can be a piece of glass that the sun hits and mix in dry leaves and it equals fire. :oops::arghh:

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

That's true...and a lot of people don't really know how to build a proper fire or care for the same.
    I had a session with youth this weekend and that was part of my contribution - building and taking care of fires.
    [Part of the no trace program.] Do you know how hard it is to convey the simple message that a campfire preparation is simply FINGER WOOD to get the thing going, [no gasoline, paper of any kind, other explosive devices]. HAND WOOD [only pieces that one can break with the hand] and KNEE WOOD, the bigger stuff for an enjoyable fire? No...no...it's "When do we get to use the axe or hatchet?" "Is it okay to use a power saw"- "what"? :mad:
    And cooking...They want a forest fire to cook a weenie! One of those black ugly jobbers that is crusted on the outside and raw in the inside. Skip the burnt bun.
    Speaking of wood - I was actually shocked to see the incredible destruction in the forested area by winter storms that we suffered in this area. No need to cut anything if you are in this neck of the forest. I fear that the fires will be bigger and awful this summer.
    I LOVE THIS STUFF!

3. 2sweed

Other than the frustrating moments did you have a good time camping?

4. Northern Dancer

I always have a good time! True, the weather was really bad for this time of the year. The winds were ferocious but it didn't stop any of the program. The youth were excellent and received me and what I had to teach them. Like I said there was a lot of tree damage from the winter storm.

5. 2sweed

I was hoping for your sake the camping area would have been spared. By the way I found a craft idea that involved teaching scouts rescue breathing. Do they still teach things like that at scout camp? My brother attended in the sixty's and his troop made this craft project. Wondered about Canada, thou....:)

6. Northern Dancer

7. 2sweed

So how long till you get back out in the woods? I went for a short walk in the woods on Tuesday, behind my house and the forest was so peaceful I had a really hard time turning back. I wanted to explore more and look for fern fiddleheads andl mushrooms. But then I took a much longer trip over to Red Bridge State Park and took pictures of the water and the mountains. It was beautiful.

8. Northern Dancer

Last week got me started. I've been taking in some of the groomed trails in our area - they are in walking distance. The dog loves to get out and so do I. My next weekend are booked for the first and second week of June.

9. 2sweed

Did you see the pictures I put up from my trip to Kinzua (Red Bridge)?? Would look more interesting with a nice dog like Reese in the pictures. Anyways the water is really high now and that pleased me as the last time I was over there this end of the reservoir was drained, thus a big mud hole. The waters are filled with big bass and other fish. This is one place we might go camping this summer.
    For now short hikes behind my house will have to do. :)

10. Northern Dancer

Not yet but I'll check them out. I' planning to take a lot of pictures this summer. I sort of stopped for awhile but need to update my file.

11. 2sweed

I use an older type camera that records the pictures on floppy disks. as long as I can keep my old computer running, I will be able to use the camera. I have lots of photo's and slides, and stored photo's on disks & floppies. But it seems there is always something new to add to the collection. :)

12. Northern Dancer

Good for you...I should be doing a lot more but I seem to be the only one really interested in my pictures. I did a table photo album of some of my best shots once.

13. 2sweed

I don't know about that I think your pictures are very interesting and fun. The ones you put up of your friends in the boat and of your dog are very good. Share some more of them. I put mine in the nature topic, I have another to share of an albino robin. He has been hanging around my yard for the last week. I think there is a nest close by. :)

14. Northern Dancer

Interesting...It seems to me that there have been a lot of wildlife around here too. I think that the winter has moved them closer looking for food.

15. 2sweed

It is easy to tell I have been with it the last few days. Each time I signed in and read your post I thought I like that cheery campfire being displayed. And then my tired brain would say I wonder what the ND stands for, and finally tonight it registered it is your site name. o_Oo_O:rolleyes: I think I need a long vacation. :(

It has seemed that way here for the last several years, that more wild animals are coming into town looking for easy handouts. Do you suppose it is (global warming). Ha! Ha!
    But I do wonder if all the logging and more gas companies in the woods is causing them to look for free lunch and not look for food in the forests. :)

16. Northern Dancer

I wonder...we had a woman killed out west by a mature black bear. Kinda scary. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it sends a chill up the spine.:bucktooth:

17. 2sweed

Any time a wild animal attacks or kills people it is of great concern. I read a story about a mountain lion that had killed people hiking or on dirt bikes as they went along a certain rocky ledge area in a canyon out west several years ago. It was an old cat that did not have the ability to hunt other animals and so it started preying on hikers and bikers.
    But as you say in the wild it is important to stay alert and remember the animals are wild and not to infringe upon them as if they are tame creatures.

18. Northern Dancer

It's always a difficult circumstance and this situation was a peculiar one - the authorities are studying the matter to determine the causes.

At this time of year I rehearse the standard safety practices and go over material already learned. I make sure that my equipment is working like my bear spray. My standard equipment includes bear spray, screamer whistle, walking staff and belt knife [used principally for preparing meals]. I do have a sling shot - though I carry it - I've never used it. There are always hand rocks outside the tent door and I have a high beam flash light. Being cognizant of one's space is particularly important and I stop frequently to look and listen.

19. 2sweed

In other words never sneak up on Northern Dancer, in the dark, or you might get hit with bear spray or a screamer whistle in your ear, beat with a walking staff or pelted by a sling shot. Luckily his knife is used for cooking. Oh, watch out for the pile of rocks by the tent door and getting blinded by a high power beam flashlight. Otherwise, it is quite safe in camping in that area. :D:happy::happy::smuggrin:

20. Northern Dancer

Wow...I hadn't thought of it like that. That was put together rather nicely. I sure hope I don't come across as some sort of a namby pamby. :( If anything I've always felt confident being alone [well...err...other than the dog of course.]

Draft saved Draft deleted