1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from the Tax Me state aka Maryland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MacGyver, Dec 19, 2014.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Found this forum from a conversation on campingforums.com. The nick I use on here (and there) was given to me by my long time camping buddies because I'm the gadget guy in the bunch. But I don't mean store bought gizmos - I mean stuff I put together at home or on site to make life in camp a little easier. I've always been a comfort driven camper and I'm always digging to figure out what to do for the next trip. But, I have to say, after almost 40 years of putting stuff together, it's getting pretty hard to come up with new things. I guess that's one of the reasons why I'm joining forums - there's bound to be someone out there who puts a new idea in my head.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

WELCOME REALLY GLAD TO SEE YOU ON LINE

I think we have a lot in common and I can certainly identify with gizmos and gadgets. Baden Powell of the Scout Movement said, "The only campers who rough it are the inexperienced." I have found that to be so. BUT...it took me a few years to figure it all out. I'm a four season camper and I have never lost my enthusiasm over the years. Looking forward to hearing more from you and learning from your experiences.

upload_2014-12-19_13-23-46.jpeg

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Thanks for the welcome, ND. I don't think you ever stop learning when you're out. There always seems to be something different that comes along that gives you something to think about. I'm with you on never losing the enthusiasm, but I have to say I'm pretty much down to three seasons here. What surprises a lot of people is that it's summer that I tend to shy away from now. Summer's here are brutally hot and humid. I tried my best to deal with it, using fans and swamp coolers but I never got comfortable. Bugs, dust and sweating all day doesn't make for good times. I've really come to appreciate Winter trips. Empty campgrounds, no bugs, no ice runs every other day and huge fires to sit around - that's the life for me.

4. Northern Dancer

I'm still summer strong - we have some excellent terrain in this neck of the woods. I have some pics of my summer canoe tip online [On the Water - Canoe Country]. Our summer was unusually cool and on some evenings down right cold. We have noticed changes in weather patterns and of recent date the winds are more frequent and more fierce.

I enjoy winter camping and I have two dates scheduled. I'm into hot tent camping though I have used smaller back pack tents.

I noted your comment tax me state, but I also know that the Province of Ontario is one of the most taxed jurisdictions in North America. Our universal health care alone 32 % of the tax dollar.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hi there MacGyver, I'm a bit late to the introduction thread since I've already been enjoying your posts on your solar panel setup but it's nice to have you here. The MacGyver show is a bit before my time but I think that name has sprung a reputation of its own that I'm sure you live up to ;)

6. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Thanks, Erik. It's good to have found another place to share and learn. Yeah - I wear that moniker proudly. My friends like to kid me a lot because I'm always tinkering with stuff, but when they need something fixed, suddenly they sing a different tune. LOL

7. campforums

Awesome, feel free to help spread the word if you can as this forum is relatively new compared to a lot of the other ones out there but I think we have a lot to offer.

I have no idea why they'd tease you about that! Tinkering is a great way to understand how things work and get the most out of today's technology. But I have noticed that among my friends and acquaintances some of them have that mindset you're talking about and some of them do not. Guess which ones I hit up for advice or to join me for my little side projects? Keep tinkering!!! :p

8. Northern Dancer

9. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Just wanted to give you a warm welcome on to the site. This time of the year we all keep our camp fires burning and look forward to sharing the camping stories and hearing how others do it. I have read several of your posts and you seem to know a lot about the ways of the woods and mountains. I used to watch the MacGyver show and enjoyed it, so now we can hear from you about the ones that got away and how to fix the campsite & camp tools with duct tape. Glad you found us! :)

campforums likes this.
  10. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Thanks, 2Weed. Glad to be here!

11. campforums

My camp fire is mostly an indoor one this time of the year... In my fireplace... with me under a blanket :p

12. shmuel.mule

shmuel.mule Newbie

^ I bet you have a certain dog with you when your under the blanket

Draft saved Draft deleted