1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

HATS...

Discussion in 'Attire' started by Northern Dancer, May 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8Xh72dMmaorwJLlMvqbzwqM4aYgPthV0CMWSnYWiW6rys_gVn.jpg
    --- HATS ---
    I always thought wearing hats like carrying a walking stick was sort of dorky. Well... I now have a walking stick [staff] that sure is helpful coming down a rocky cliff or walking an uneven trail. I've never thought of it as being a defence stick against animals but I suppose you could say that could be an option.

BUT A HAT?

I do now. Though I have more than one hat this is the one I usually wear during the summer. The Tilley airflo. No it's not a picture of me - I'm a lot uglier.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmwoRIMMhl4kQBzokk2-G5lv7YDBevw8qsHhV7XutxKLJlmm2Zcw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgHTIbvqoczH_UPlWT3YnR7Fnf4BZvcQ3NA7rZkuWU4t6cctx0.png images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkKAHe78FQ4mAykyYplGHzyRji7Sl4NCGdh2c_2jjWbJKFnogNxA.jpg

I sure liked the look of @MacGyver's headpiece.

So...what's your brand?
    Share why you purchased the brand and tell
    us about the unique features.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Let me guess, you got a nasty sun burn and that changed your mind about hats?

3. Northern Dancer

@campforums Howd you guess? It was especially hot, the sun was in full force, not a cloud in the sky, not a whiff of a breeze and for whatever reason this experienced person decided that he was so experienced that somehow a hat wasn't necessary. WRONG :banghead:

4. campforums

Lol, a little bit of experience of my own haha

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

My favorite hat that I wear constantly everywhere is of course a ball cap with the plastic band with bumps for adjustment. I can not stand the buckle types, as they either won't stay my size or are too tight. The caps stay on and shield my eyes from the sun. I have several in different colors.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSf7xYOPQNw7M4Gp582pC9hshri2tplOH6iqPTAlxFMPnDWyBB.jpg
    However, when walking or hiking in the woods I like using a hat that protects my face and back of my neck from sunburn. Learned that the hard way. This hat stays on in windy conditions and helps keep the hot sun rays from my face and neck.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyAkh0Yd7vbrD-aWP6_7qrLf99yqGw1MRLpMHUSuQXabNWrGyJ.jpg

6. campforums

Or if you want to try something a little more practical...

pink_cowgirl_drinking_hat_2.jpg

9057_27030811547.jpg

7. Northern Dancer

O....kay, so it's a hat war you want?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQxfxOwUnbMw4UA0zfrXT5N2I6zs6l6zHOPTKzFA94GLwH9mjXYA.jpg Now this is what I call practical? o_O

8. campforums

Maybe... :angelic:

These novelty hats remind me of a seminar I went to recently and one of the presenters talked about a hat he was designing that would filter the air you breath as you wore it. For people who are asthmatic or doing sports outside

9. Northern Dancer

____________________________________________________________________ :)

Interesting. There is no question that there are hats for different occasions and different situations.
    But alas...it's the ultimate camp/canoe hat that I am interested in.

10. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

only type of "hat" I wear, everything else seems like hats old people would wear.

U-Flex-cap.png

11. campforums

What would that look like if you were to design one?

12. Northern Dancer

@BMWPOWER...O...kay....that's another dimension. If THEY come after you - you are on your own Dude! But...which is tub spelled backwards - you have a point. The baseball camp has always retained it's place as the first choice of the male side of the species.

I ain't givin up my Tilley.:mad:

campforums likes this.
  13. Northern Dancer

Good fitting, stylish, practical, rugged, durable - probably like one of those Tilley's. :bag:

14. campforums

Well those are good because they keep the sun off the back of your neck as well as your face. I tend to get sunburns there unless I use a lot of sunscreen.

15. Northern Dancer

Tilley's make a variety of hats. They have also made them for troops of the United States Army and the Canadian Armed Forces stationed in hot countries. Like everything else it is a matter of choice. Baseball caps are the same - there are good products in the market and some bad.

campforums likes this.
  16. campforums

Or if sun is the may concern, a bandanna can work well...

prince-charles-arrives-participate-traditional-saudi-dancing-known-arda-during-janadriya.jpg

17. Faust

Faust Explorer

Bout 3 year's ago I got an oil skin hat. Dorky as heck but having a dry head during 3 day's of rain really makes a difference. Mine has the string's so the wind can't blow it off.
    http://www.outbacktrading.com/shop/custom.aspx?recid=20

If I'm not wearing my hat I wear a Buff. I like these, mostly because I can soak it in water and wear it to cool off my head and/or neck.
    http://www.buffcanada.com

18. Northern Dancer

Right on - it's not about style [though manufacturers would have us believe that] it's about practical use. Does it manage the weather situation that we find our self in. It not about looking cool. Well...then again...maybe.

Nice to see you on line. :)

19. campforums

Most camping gear is more targeted towards practicality over style. You won't really care how things look as much when you are wearing something all day. Whereas if you are in the city and only out for a few hours at a time then you can get away with something a little more fashionable

20. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

One thing that I really like in the hot weather is a "kool-tie". They are like a bandana; but they have little beads inside that expand into kind of a gel when they are soaked in cold water. You can tie it around your neck and it does a great job of keeping the back of the neck cool. If you are close to water , where you can re-soak it every so often it is even better.
    I like to take one of those small ice chests with a couple of the kool-ties soaking in ice water, and then you can change out and have a really chilly one every so often.
    They are usually for sale on ebay, and I try to order several; because you need them all summer long.

Draft saved Draft deleted