1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hello from Central, NY

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mett1982, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mett1982

mett1982 Novice Camper

Hi everyone! I am super excited to see what everyone has to say. I hope everyone has a great day!

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuQd4pjozL_7d7lKS51_ivf2AfJy4LBntPU2Cwk7tMq0O7fQyy.png

...hope you enjoy the site!

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Hello and welcome to our forum. we have said a lot now it's your turn to add some great conversation. Look around the topic's are endless or better yet add some of your own. Look forward to talking with you. ;)

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Welcome mett1982. I have heard central NY is very nice. Yes we would love to hear more about your camping experiences.

campforums likes this.
  5. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

Hey Mett - I live in Rochester, NY. Upstate. I joined this forum but have not used it much and felt guilty lol. I am about to get into camping hardcore this year for certain. There is a campground near Rochester named Hamlin State park. I am excited to give it a shot.

Look forward to talk with people on this forum too.

6. Northern Dancer

...Camping hardcore - never used that expression - but I like it. It sort of describes me. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfTfGdnaK8LSyfSpP6AVY58nHmyqkHoB6gCeuCRxHnVODk0l2l0A.jpg

7. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

I used to hike in the Adirondack Mountains when I was younger, have not been there in years though. I want to get a nice deluxe cot with lots of cushion to it, and a little coleman peak 1 stove. And have campfires, and of course marshmallows and smores, maybe do some fishing and swimming. I am thinking like in August or something. Hamlin beach park is a great place to start.

Hardcore lol. Yeah I am generally hardcore in all areas of life. I figured hardcore camping is what's called for lol.

8. Northern Dancer

@flyoffthe - Sounds like you are trying to re-capture some good days gone by. Good for you! I use to tell students on a regular basis not to give up the things that they love most. When we say I use to is a good sign that we need to to start saying I need to. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpb3zWKeedMuBXrWWUwNkn-ZSBG_9hrNWnwcfOnoCHwMsxtFUQ.jpg

9. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

You know that's exactly right, sometimes we put things off just a little too long, and those woods are calling me. Since I live in the city, and came from the country (Massena NY) it makes sense that I would crave a lil roughing it. Maybe a lot of it. City life has it charms, but I think that nature is the grandest luxury of all, personally. No human trappings compare lol.

10. Northern Dancer

I love the outdoors because I can be the person that I want to be. I don't think that I'm a sap for loving peace, quiet or tranquility. I can get excited about a starry sky, a babbling brook, a thunderous river and the smell of a campfire crackling in the evening hours. I can canoe for hours and stay awake in the wee hours of the night to listen to the quiet or the hooting of the Great Horned Owl - well...err...you get the picture.

...and you don't have to really rough it anymore.

:bear: Baden Bears says, "Northern Dancer discovered a long time ago that there was no need to rough it anymore; not with all the advances in camping/canoeing equipment."

11. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

So the finest luxuries in the great outdoors. Hmmm.

12. Northern Dancer

...careful selection can turn the finest luxuries into essentials minus the expense. :)

13. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

I want a hammock and a peak 1 stove. They used to have a peak 1 stove, maybe it's evolved.

14. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have a grand trunk single, and an ENO double hammocks. I can realy sprawl out in the double size. The single one is great for the grandson 31b6398d055cb30d1c8aa5fe202d0bf9.jpg .
    7 year old boy sure wears me out.

I am 5 foot 10 inches tall and weigh about 215.......220 pounds, and I have no problem with either of the hammocks. Yes I a bit chunky, well I call it muscular, my wife says otherwise. She takes me for walks which I don't mind, but the leash is a horrid thing to wear 71c490bb744771d5ed12dacdeb10911a.jpg

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

15. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

I am 240 - I could call it muscular all I want to, but I'm not fooling anyone. I am about to try and lose 60 pounds though by August, I got a 30th high school reunion to go to and I want my classmates, and all the girls who used to like me back then, I confess, to drool over the well preserved and more handsome than ever older version of me haha. Yet, even more, if I lost the weight, I would not break a hammock.

16. Northern Dancer

Surprisingly @flyoffthe I've seen men a lot larger than you out there enjoying the camp scene. There is equipment than manages larger weights from sleeping bags, to cots, to chairs etc. I don't give advice but it seems to me if you really are interested in the outdoor life - jump into and have fun now. Who knows, that very act my take you closer to your established goal.

"I am about to try?" I think you need a written plan.:)

17. flyoffthe

flyoffthe Newbie

LOL. Well there is one thing for sure, I WILL camp this year.

18. Northern Dancer

@flyoffthe...GREAT! The one thing about camping that I have always enjoyed? YOU CAN BE YOURSELF! If they don't like they can find another camp site. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted