1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hello from south louisiana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by saint_518, Jul 5, 2015.

1. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

hello everyone. new to forums but looking forward to some good discussions and learning a few things and maybe even teach a few things. Camping and survival is a big part of me and my family. I try to make a trip every other month. During the summer months its family based (tents, junk food, bedding, and what ever else we can fit in the back of the truck). Any other time its minimal (what ever i can fit in a backpack) and just hit the woods for a few days.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hey, welcome to the site. I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Things can be a bit slow at times during the summer season since many members are of course out camping!

I am hoping to get out for a weekend later this month. Do you have any trips planned?

3. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

Just came back from a trip last weekend. Spent thursday through sunday out on the river. Unwind a little and let the kids play in the water for a few days.

4. campforums

Awesome! It is awesome that you have a family that is into it as well so you can share that experience together.

Were you doing any boating?

5. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

No boating. We have a little private sand bar we like to stay at. Its around 300 yard off a dirt road. Normally bring the atv to help haul gear back and forth. we normally have eight of us when we camp during the summer. Me my wife and two kids and a close friend (who iv been camping with for close to 10 years) his wife and two kids. Between us all there is alot to haul back and forth. Now when just me and my wife or me and my buddy go its a completely different story. Its a light back pack each and just hike in for a 2 or 3 nights. Most of the time is a hammock with a mosquito net draped over or my little pack tent.

6. campforums

So you drive to the dirt road and then ATV in to the sand bar? Sounds like a nice spot, we do not have a lot of sandy beaches around where I live. Most of them are rocky and sand beaches is one of the things I like the most about travelling.

7. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

11650738_970768802981605_802027127_n.jpg yes sir. gear in the back of the truck and the atv on a trailer. Here is a pic of our camp site from our last trip.

8. campforums

Wow that looks like an amazing little spot, just enough space for your little group. I would love to find a beach like that around where I am, plus the sand is a bit comfier to sleep on I bet.

9. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

sleeping on sand is not to bad if you flatten it out before you set you tent on top. If not the the little humps can annoying fast. Biggest problem is you will have sand everywhere! no matter how hard you try to keep things clean.

10. campforums

Yeah that's what I meant, it would be softer than the ground and there wouldn't be any sharp tree roots poking up into your tent. But yea, I can imagine the sand might get tiresome after a while. I always have it everywhere after going to the beach.

11. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Welcome again @saint-518 I just got back for 16 days of camping bliss. Though really cold and wet. Would like to hear more about your experiences.

saint_518 likes this.
  12. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

looking forward to sharing more! I would love to be able to take a 16 day trip. most i can ever get is a 3-4 day.

13. Northern Dancer

:)

I can appreciate your sentiment and can identify with your feelings in part - I can do these things on a regular basis because by grace I became a cleric/teacher. My next fast trip is August 9th into Haliburton Waterways System. I have other stuff coming up too. ...just can't get enough of it!

SO...I'm open to learning...and as much as I think I might know I'm always surprised at the new stuff I don't know.

One thing that I've already learned about our Camping Babble is that it is a fabulous site - no worries about the trash and junk that I've seen in other places. All thanks to the Commander - Campforums.

campforums and saint_518 like this.
  14. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

I have really been enjoying this site. Have not done much posting but I have been reading alot. Enjoy reading about other members stories and learned a few things that I'm excited try on my next trip. Been planning a 3 day kayak trip for awhile now. I love kayaking and I love camping but I have not had the chance to merge the two yet.

campforums likes this.
  15. Northern Dancer

:)

Fabulous. I'm a canoe man as you might expect. I tried kayaking last summer and loved it. I use to look at the various models in the outdoor stores and marvel at the sleek designs and apparent versatility of the craft. And today they make them for long distant traveling and weekend camping.

saint_518 likes this.
  16. campforums

You could always tow the gear that didn't fit behind you....

welle-towing-kiviuq.jpg

saint_518 likes this.
  17. campforums

One of the benefits of the job :thumbsup:

Thanks for the positive sentiments!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted