1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Introduction from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Onatah, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

Hello fellow campers!
    My name is Janet. I'm a 46 year old grandma of six married to a man eight years my senior. We are both lovers of the great outdoors. I am Native American, of Blackfoot and Iroquois ancestry. My screen name, Onatah, means 'Daughter of the Earth'.
    My husband and I are blessed enough to live in the woods of northwest Michigan. We still enjoy camping, whether it be our own property or if we travel to do it. I enjoy horseback riding, hunting and fishing so if I can combine those things with camping, I'm even happier. We converted the tack area of our horse trailer as a mini camper (and currently looking for one with a bigger area to do this with) but still enjoy just pitching a tent.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKI7HQQCHksVcTKUzkdWRmDHfsRT8no9dBgnjBAAylC_Sww_9l5Q.jpg again!

I find horseback camping really intriguing; something that I've never done. Though I am a four season camper and I canoe as much as I can. "Me thinks" I have far to many threads online to support that notion so it will be pleasant to learn more from you.
    :)

3. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

I've never went on a canoe trip! That's something I'd love to try one day though it may be tricky to figure out how to load up my horse. ;) I did go kayaking for the first time last summer and had a blast. I still have yet to get in a canoe. That's one for the bucket list.

I confess that I'm not a four season camper. I should try winter camping just to prove I could learn to survive in that element. I'd like to have that peace of mind but I'm a total winter wimp. I tend to hibernate. It gets super cold here in Michigan. I'd actually love to move somewhere more temperate year round but my dad bought this piece of wooded paradise in 1976 and he's now buried here, along with other relatives. I guess that means my roots are too strong here. Maybe I need a second home somewhere more friendly to my old outdoorsy loving self come wintertime. I could easily be a snowbird, just not a typical Fla. snowbird. I need to be outside with nature. Tourist traps make me claustrophobic.

4. Northern Dancer

___________________________________________________________________ :)

Sounds great right where you are. It would not be the first time that I found what I really wanted was right here - at home. But then again I love the sound of lakes and forests, the chatter of the chipmunks, the noise of the loon, the crackle of the fire and being away from the tourist and crowd.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It's never too late to try new things :p

Welcome to the website Onatah!

6. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

No. No, it's certainly not. :) I'm 46. Last year found me kayaking for the first time. Hubby and I would love to buy a pair of kayaks now. It was a blast even though it was just cruising around on a gentle lake. I would also love to try white water rafting one day. Canoeing sounds safer for someone like me, though. Baby steps...

Thank you for the welcome. I'm loving the forums.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think kayaking has more of a reputation for adventure because they are typically quite a bit faster than canoes but in my opinion one is no more safe than the other. Which is very safe as long as you follow the proper safety precautions like wearing a life vest and carrying a whistle.

8. Northern Dancer

...and know what you are doing:).

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted