1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Pants That Become Shorts

Discussion in 'Attire' started by 2sweed, May 8, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Has anyone here ever used the long pants that either roll up or can be removed with a zipper to form long pants into shorts? I just wondered how long this type of pants would hold up and if they are comfortable to wear?

It would seem that they would be useful on a cold morning that heats up during the day. All that is necessary is remove the pant legs and your wearing shorts. However, putting them back on may be a bit of a problem in trying to get the zipper section to reconnect. It could be a real problem when warm weather turns cold, and you need long pants again fast.

Have you used pants like this and did they work well or was the use of them more trouble then they were worth?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I haven't used them since I was a little kid but they are pretty much like regular track pants from what I remember. Although they might have different styles available now.

I don't think the zipper is that difficult to put back together because I remember being able to do it as a little kid but you also have to remember not to lose the removable section when you want to wear shorts.

3. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

My mom bought these for both my boys when they were younger. You are right about not losing the lower section when you make them shorts. My boys had a real habit of losing the spare piece to their pants. They were overall pretty handy though. Especially when you live in an all season type of state. And the weather changes every day. I have not seen this style of pants/shorts around in a long time. My mom gets everything from QVC, so I wonder if she got the pants from there.

4. Jpix

Jpix Newbie

I have 2 pairs of these, I actually really like them. I don't have much trouble reconnecting the zipper and my other pair is fixed with buttons instead of zippers. You guys are right about losing the lower section of the pants, they are very easy to lose, however I usually have a backpack or most of those type of pants are cargo pants and have the big side pockets, so you can slip the pieces into those pockets.

My husband just leaves his lower pieces connected either by one button or a little bit of zipper, that way his legs get air, he doesn't lose the pieces and he doesn't get too hot or too cold.

5. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

They are really great to bring with you on a camping trip. It's nice because if it gets hot you can make them shorts. If you get to cold or the temperature suddenly drop ,then make them pants again.

6. Kementarri

Kementarri Newbie

I remember seeing this around when I was a kid, but I never have really given them much thought until I saw the thread. I think they would be a great asset to have along on a camping trip as I always hate those days that start off cool in the morning and then heat up real quickly during mid day. I find that when I camp, I like to be gone all day long, so going back to camp is not always an option.

I guess my next question would be, do they have them in a couple of styles for women? I know camping isn't about style at all, but I would rather not look ridiculous whilst out hiking.

I will have to look into them!

7. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

That sounds like a good idea, but I feel like that would be uncomfortable. I had the zipper one once and the zipper part bothered me because it rubbed against my leg.

8. TABL

TABL Explorer

I agree- my sons had them, but we constantly seemed to be missing the leg parts. A huge hassle!

9. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

This type of long/short pants used to be my favourite when I was younger. Though I sometimes have troubles reconnecting them especially if I was in a rush but it gave me more space in my backpack as I never had to pack long and short pants. Instead I could pack long/short pants altogether :D

10. weekender

weekender Newbie

Yes, all the boys in the family have at least 3 pairs of these types of pants. These cargo pants with detachable legs are very handy. It is more preferable to use the non-cotton material for camping or hiking trips. The cotton ones can get really heavy when wet. The thinner material is also easier to tuck away in the pockets so these won't get lost or left behind.

11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I never wore cargo pants and I could of course find them in a grocery store. I wore jeans whether they were light blue or navy blue. I never could fathom using cargo pants and maybe I should try them to see how they fit.

12. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

27x1jjl.jpg How bout something like this? Naw...I was just kidding. :cool::bear:

I wear them all the time...I mean the two in one design. Really great for tripping when you are trying to cut down on the number of items that you bring. Really...guys...would you wear the above....and just where would you wear them? I sense a challenge here....... :troll:

13. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

:hilarious: I think those pants would look really ridiculous on me. It looks like a accordion made out of plastic. Driving in a car would be a pain with those on you would not be able to slam on the brakes.

14. Northern Dancer

I'm a a tough marker :troll:. On a score from 1 to 10 I'll give you a 7.3% for your answer. :)

15. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Ha HA ha I see the all caps with the bold lol. My answer got a 7.3 still not bad though so I am not complaining lol. I just still believe those pants look funny.

16. Northern Dancer

Very much agreed! ;)

17. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Yeah I am doing okay just had applied to Party City, Dollar Store, Majestic's Bible and Gifts so far nothing. I just don't know what kind of job I would have yet. So I am still hoping.

Draft saved Draft deleted