1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Rain Coats or Poncho's

Discussion in 'Attire' started by 2sweed, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If you needed a rain outfit would you choose a lightweight rain coat with a hood and water-proof pants or the old style poncho that covered you up totally backpack and all?
    Both kinds do the job but which would you prefer and why?

2. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I guess it kind of depends.

If I'm actively hiking and need to carry supplies with me still, then I would go with a poncho simply because it will cover more and I can just toss it out when I'm done with it.

In general, though, I prefer raincoats or just an umbrella even. Covering up entirely always makes me feel clammy and sweaty...even when it's cold...so I like just being able to peel off the wet clothes later and switch to something dry when I get the chance.

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Hi Jessi,
    I kind of wondered about the poncho effect specially in humid wet weather, but then most of the camping poncho's I have seen are the canvas or vinyl ones that don't breathe well. By the way, where do you go hiking at?

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I would think that the poncho would be better for the humid weather due to the open bottom so not a lot of hot air can accumulate in there. Rain coats on the other hand do provide a lot of of warmth and tend to be harder to "shake off"

5. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Canvas or vinyl that doesn't breath well.... is there any other kind? Lol!

I have only ever experienced clingy, nasty, plastic-feeling (even when it's not plastic) ponchos that once they get wet and the sun starts coming back out, they feel horrible. :(

6. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I never tried using poncho :D I have always been using a light rain coat but I make sure it is a large one enough to cover me and all my things. Sometimes it's just lucky to be a small person :D Even though they don't last long but they are extremely cheap that you can buy another few as a back up.

Draft saved Draft deleted