1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Scottish Wild Camper joining in

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Scott Maxwell, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,

Thought it would be polite to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm based in Edinburgh, Scotland, and am lucky enough to have the Scottish highlands on my doorstep. My wife and I are both former member of the uk armed forces, and so our interest is in wild camping.

I've also started a wee blog if anyone would like to check it out. Link is in the sig below.

Anyway, hi everyone :)

Scott

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Welcome again Scott - it's great to have someone across the seas be a part of Camping Babble. It will certainly give us a different perspective.

So exactly what kind of camping are you into? Caravan, tenting, stealth?

I would be interested in learning more about your "wild camping" experience. I'm a four season camper and enjoy base camp and canoeing into the wilderness. I'm well equipped for different situations and circumstances. ND

2dvs9hf.jpg

I'll be checking out your blog.
    See ya!

3. Hi Northern Dancer

Our flavour of wild camping is a bit of a nostalgic trip for us. We both trained on Dartmoor using standard-issue British Army kit - ponchos and poles for shelter, bivvy bags and sleeping bags for warmth, that sort of thing.

Quite a bit older now and don't have a instructor shouting at us, so we've gone a bit soft and upgraded to a four-seasons geodesic tent. Otherwise things are pretty similar.

Usual exped is quite short as the country isn't as massive as yours ;-) Walk out on the Friday, return on the Sunday...

Would love to hear your thoughts on the blog. Also, I think you guys look like you're operating on a different level, so looking forward to picking up some tips here.

Best
    Scott

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I did check out the site and left a comment.

True - we are blessed with fabulous terrain and excellent camping opportunities that suit every style and taste in this country.

You described equipment and methods that I use for canoeing. I'm more than a weekend man [though I do some of those too] in that I prefer five days and longer. I'm fortunate that within five hours I can be in bear and moose country.

In terms of Camping Babble, you can see that it covers a whole range of topics and there are various levels of skills in numerous areas. I'm a camper camper; experienced, trained, and specifically active. I joined up because my buds get a bit tired of my camping talk. The site gives me an opportunity to express myself with like minded people and still keep my friends.

2pqnqis.jpg

Here's a snap of a moose that I took a few years back in Algonquin Park. ND

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hello Scott, welcome to the forums. Funny that that is your name and your nationality o_O

I like your blog, the design is very elegant. Feel free to share any articles you write here on Camping Babble as I'm sure many others would like to read them. One suggestion though, I found it a bit cumbersome to navigate through your posts. Maybe consider adding a page which lists all the categories or lists the posts chronologically and link to it from the header or home page.

6. The name comes from the border country with England - ancestors were reavers ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. The site is new so needs work - like your suggestion so will probably do that.

Cheers
    Scott

7. campforums

Interesting. The background of many people's names can be quite interesting. I know mine has Scandinavian roots.

Feel free to message me for help anytime if you like

8. I will, thanks. Already implemented your suggestion for easier navigation - added more complete menus. Thanks for that.

9. campforums

I was checking out your site again today. I really like your content. It is unique and always a good read.

I also really like that you are using thumbnail images now for your posts. All you're missing now is a nice logo and maybe a little tweaking to make the site look more "camping oriented".

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Just wanted to say Hello and welcome you to the forum. I like your tent/picture. It looks so inviting setting back in the green leafy trees, the prefect camping spot. Hope to see more of your posts and swap camping comments with you. See you around! Plan to check out your site as well. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted