1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Snow Blindness Prevention Gear

Discussion in 'Attire' started by 2sweed, Jan 8, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

As we talk about different articles of clothing, I often wonder what you use in the winter months in the woods to protect yourself from snow blindness. I always heard that sunglasses did the trick, but wondered do they limit vision in deeply wooded areas? So what do you do or use to protect your eyes when camping or hiking in snow?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well in deeply wooded areas I don't think you'd be very likely to suffer from snow blindness. That is usually caused by sunlight reflecting off of the white snow into your eyes which make them constrict so that when you go to a darker area it takes a moment for your eyes to adjust. With enough shade from the trees, I think you wouldn't need sunglasses at all.

Many ski goggles/masks are tinted to help with glare although I've seen some people use sunglasses too.

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Yep - I just bought a nice pair of ski goggles for that very reason. Like I mentioned on another thread, my eyes don't deal well with bright light or glare. The goggles along with a hoodie kinda makes me look like the Unibomber, but at least I can see without my eyes burning. The goggles beat sunglasses hands down in snowy weather. Zero frame in your line of sight, no light coming in from the sides and they totally block the wind and snow.

campforums likes this.
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

The only problem I find is that when it is super cold and you are wearing a ski mask that the heat and moisture from your breath can fog up the lenses. But you're right, they do block out pretty much all of the wind, glare, and cold, wet stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted