1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tent heaters?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Sweetkymom, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

My brother is planning us all a late fall to early winter camping trip somewhere close. I have three kids and he has three kids, that we will need to keep warm. What kind of heaters do you recommend and are they really tent safe? I've never known a tent heater to exist until now so I'm not sure what's safe or not.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Me neither I did not know a tent heater existed till I read this post. Its again another good reason why I try to go to this forum to learn some new stuff about camping. Tent heater should be safe but you would probably need a outlet of some sort.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Eight people in a tent? You want to know what the best heater is? IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR SITUATION. Though there are heaters on the market FOR SAFETY SAKE I SIMPLY WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYTHING.

:thumbsup: However, as a "Camp Babbler" the following might be helpful.

My suggestion to you is that you have proper *sleeping bags to accommodate your situation. That, with proper clothing [layers] goes a long way to protect one against the elements.

* I have on occasion put two sleeping bags together to make one warm one.

Among other things, when we go winter [or cold climate] camping we have a tent shelter that is kept warm with the use of a Buddy Heater [or a wood stove]. We do not use this tent to sleep in but maintain it as a safety shelter for day time should someone get cold. It is often the kitchen shelter. In terms of our individual tents, in my case, for example, I do what is referred to as hot tent camping. I actually have a wood burning stove in the tent, but there are only two of us sharing the accommodation. The tent is specifically designed to accommodate a stove and has safety features - the few there are.

CARBON MONOXIDE FUMES
    IS A LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH WHEN TENT HEATING DEVICES ARE USED IMPROPERLY.

If you would provide more information I could advise you better. For example - how old are the children, do they have any cold climate camp experience, do you have any cold climate experience?

There are several sites that provide good information - one of these is Winter Camping and Backpacking Tips REI.com - this is a reputable organization that often provides instructive videos.

:) I'm really wanting to be helpful. This is what Camping Babble is all about.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well that just burns off the icing on the cake. Then again if we are talking about carbon monoxide fumes then I could see why. Last thing you want is to inhale yourself to death.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well if you are looking for a quick and easy fix, there is this idea by @2sweed

6. Northern Dancer

2Sweed is notorious for having excellent ideas and suggestions. :)

She would agree with me that there is no easy fix
    . Safety is always the primary and the situation and circumstance dictates the manner the problem is to be solved or eliminated. It sort of reminds me the first time that I cooked a can of beans over an open fire without putting any air escapes in the can. Did I say BOOM! :nurse:

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

What's the point of camping if you're going to use a electric heater? Leave the modern convenieces behind. That's the whole point of camping, to disconnect yourself form the modern world.

But this is the way you can do it. You use each other body heat to stay warm. Or just drink a lot of cocoa to keep warm.

8. Northern Dancer

...you might want to reconsider when winter sets in. Look for my video at the end of our January winter camp. The only time you would be able to use an electric heater is when you are at a hydro site.

But I agree - easy on the mod stuff - I'm not into glamping.

9. campforums

Do you use another type of heater (not electric) to keep warm?

Sounds cozy

10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Don't assume that we are all sleeping on top of each other. If you are sleeping next to each other and sharing the same blanket, you will feel the body heat of the person next to you. And yes, mom always brought cocoa mix for hot chocolate to heat us up at night if it was cold. My old sibling use to dive at night and they would make it back to the campsite in the middle of the night, and they were freezing. All they did was strip down, splash some clean water on them and some soap, put on some clean clothes, and then proceed to fill their bellies with a hot meal next to a open campfire.

11. Northern Dancer

...the life of a camper. :):bear:

12. campforums

That sounds invigorating, one of my favorite things about camping is that it feels like a sort of reset for my energy and sleep levels. When you live in a modern city where we have all these electronic gadgets and artificial light, it makes it easy to be awake all hours of the night. Especially since people have schedules and deadlines to stick to. After a day or two of camping I become much more tired during the night and energetic during the day which is fantastic.

13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

It's part of the family bonding experience. Most families now a day watch tv while their kids are babysitted by video games. So it was family bonding and a way to teach the kids how to provide for themselves. Life and survival lessons.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  14. Northern Dancer

Interesting in a good sense. Though I admit I go extreme camping to get away from as many people as possible and I leave the bonding to others, other than my bonding with my dog Reese.

It is interesting to read and learn about the various camping experiences from others who live in different parts of the forest. I haven't experienced your situation and you haven't experienced mine. I have a video under On the Water entitled Canoe Country - you might like to look it up and get a sense of my practice.

I think what you do is fabulous and the terrain is the same - do share more. ...how about showing us some pics?

15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

As a kid our camping experiences were limited to weekends only. During the weekdays it was school and the parents had to go to work. I don't have any pictures. It was awhile ago.

We use to take the family dog with us too. A white pit bull. But majority of the food we ate was caught by us. But my mom always brought some perishables for the kids. With a bunch of kids in the group, I don't think we could go extreme. Extreme to me would be only the clothes off your back, a flint, and good trusty knife. Then you disappear in the bush for a week.

16. Northern Dancer

Extreme for me is all about what I can get into my canoe. I have a good one but still guard against over abundance which is always a problem with those of us who are zealous campers. You had a pit bull? Pit bulls are illegal in Ontario and the fines are rather hefty if you have one.

I can catch my own food - but alas I'm lazy and there are so many excellent prepared foods that you can purchase today. I will fry fish [if caught by my buds] - I don't like fishing.

I'm a four season camper and we are in the throws of preparing for our winter camp at the end of January. It's always the same wish - "I sure hope we have a lot of snow!" I'm ready; like I am always.
    I plan to have a short video of that trip at the end of January.

17. campforums

That doesn't mean there isn't some very nice pit bulls! The treatment a dog receives from its owners is one of the most important things so I'm sure @JoshPosh's dog was great :) Fish is not too hard to prepare but some animals can be a lot of work gutting and skinning whereas with prepared food all you have to do is cook (if that)!

As usual I will be looking forward to seeing your video, winter camping is not something I have a lot of exposure to.

18. Northern Dancer

That has been the argument that has been put forward by pit bull owners - I do have empathy for their situation. I have seen vicious dogs that are not of that breed.

Thanks...I believe the next video to be a whole lot better than my summer one. We shall wait and see.

19. campforums

Yeah while I think that there can be very good tempered pit bulls they sorta acquired a reputation of being "tough dogs" which attracted a lot of nasty owners. So I can agree with the ban we have on them here since it reduced the number of injuries caused by dogs.

I am sure it will be better since practice makes perfect! And the one after that will be better, and the one after that will be... you get the point :D

20. Northern Dancer

Thanks for the encouragement - I like camping with a purpose.

Draft saved Draft deleted