1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tilley Hat Works In The Rain.

Discussion in 'Attire' started by Bibsoutdoors, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I've had the opportunity to wear my new Tilley hat several times now and I'm very pleased with the results so far.
    20170309_122721.jpg
    It stays on securely in the wind. It's cool and the vents toward the top of the hat actually let air circulate. Tonight it rained while I was wearing it and the beading was incredible. I would tip my head and a water fall ran off of it. What really surprised me is it didn't soak through. The inside was dry, the outside held the water til I tilted my head or I took off the hat and gave it a shake.

Next test will be hot weather. I'll soak the hat in cold water to see how it keeps me cool through evaporation. Then when it gets super hot, I'll soak the hat, put it in the freezer for awhile to test how well it cools and for how long.

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I think that is called, Hat Abuse. I guess after all that stuff, you need to digest it somehow, and then see how it looks after that.

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I'm guessing NOT GOOD. But truthfully, all I can think about is TRYING to pass it through and out...oooh that hurts!

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

What is the material of that Tilley hat? If it is designed to be soaked 8n hot or cold water then I guess it's a pretty good one to wear while camping. I don't wear hats because it only interferes with my movement. But in cold weather, I usually wear a bonnet. And I think that Tilley hat would give me a better look.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The best known products of Tilley Endurables are their hats, they are referred to as "iconic" and "legendary." The hats are made of cotton duck canvas, and include a brim that snaps up. As the hats were originally made for sailing, they include two straps to prevent them from blowing off. Tilley hats also float. Tilley customers often write stories on the Tilley website, explaining strange experiences they have had with the hats. One such story (and shown as part of an advertisement) includes a hat being eaten by an elephant, and defecated out later that week entirely intact. Tilley hats are guaranteed for life, and will be replaced at no charge should the hat wear out. They are also replaced at 50% of the cost if they are lost or stolen.]

6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I hope it does not shrink when he puts it in very hot water cause then he will have to wait for it's replacement in the mail. It looks very sturdy and comfortable to wear. I usually wear a ball cap or go without a hat but I might look into these as they have sturdy brims and I like that in a hat.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I miss that feller in the hat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. parkhopper99

parkhopper99 Newbie

Your hat looks cool. I hat Ive been using on my trips is one of those national park hats that you buy as a souvenir. It hasnt failed me during a rain yet.

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Unfortunately I lost my Tilley hat down the river last canoe trip :(

Draft saved Draft deleted